We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Mujeres - Day trip or stay 1 night???

London, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Isla Mujeres - Day trip or stay 1 night???

Hi my 14yr old son and I will be staying at the Grand Palladium next year end of July for 3 weeks. I have been looking at visiting IM, but not sure whether to do just a day trip or maybe stay overnight.

If we stay overnight, can anyone recommend a budget B&B, rough cost and also best place to book this. I cannot get prices up just yet as not travelling til 23 July 2015.

Vancouversundog I have read your post from Sept 2013 re your Isla tour, which has been very useful.

Many thanks TA's.

Janie

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Mujeres - Day trip or stay 1 night???

It will take you awhile to get to Isla from the Palladium, couple of hours, so I'd consider the overnight stay. The only B&B I know of is Villa la Bella and it is sadly adults only. Maybe look into Posada del Mar, stayed there last year in the new building for $75 per night, has a pool, great palapa bar and a restaurant.

Hopefully someone else will have other suggestions.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,244 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Mujeres - Day trip or stay 1 night???

From Akumal I'd do an overnight (I did an overnight my first trip from Playa del Carmen). Another place B&B is Casa Sirena..again, adults only. Do you have a nightly price in mind..that would help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Mujeres - Day trip or stay 1 night???

Hi thanks for the info. I'm not looking for 5* accommodation, anything cheap and cheerful, but clean as am only planning on sleeping there for 1 night. Also is there a best area/side of the island to stay on?

Obviously I am trying to keep the budget down to a minimum and was wondering on whether or not to get the Colectivo to PDC then another from PDC to Cancun, then get a taxi to ferry terminal. I know it will take a bit longer, but would also be cheaper. Is this a silly idea?

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,244 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Mujeres - Day trip or stay 1 night???

Cheap and cheerful...for me that's $50 or less lol. There's quite a few. Xbulu-Ha and Marcianito have been tops for me in the budget category..Xbulu is a step up from the Marcianito though. http://islamujeres.biz/

Couple other more traditional type hotes...Posada del Mar (pool) and Cabanas Maria del Mar (pool and on the beach) but I've never stayed at them. Rocamar is nice on the eastern side with a gorgeous view and a pool.

Best area/side...my first trip was 1 night and I'm very happy I stayed in centro and rented a golf cart for a day.

Transportation idea..I don't think it's silly at all but I have no patience and just want to get from A to B lol. I'd leave early in the morning to make the most of your time though. :-)

5. Re: Isla Mujeres - Day trip or stay 1 night???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2015, 05:16