We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PADI Open Water Course at the Akumal Dive Shop?

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
PADI Open Water Course at the Akumal Dive Shop?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone's completed the PADI Open Water Course at the Akumal Dive Shop?

Just wondering if it's 3 half days total, or is that just for the confined dives and studying? Then more time for the open water dives?

If I did the PADI study at home before I went, would it really save me that much time?

I had a quick look and it looks like it would cost a bit more to do that, so am weighing up the benefits of perhaps more time on holiday.

Never been diving before, so any tips or reviews of the dive shop would be amazing!

Thanks so much in advance,

Karen.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal Dive Shop
Akumal Dive Shop
1,082 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,456 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PADI Open Water Course at the Akumal Dive Shop?

There is no way that is all the training and open water dives. The open water dives consist of four over two days.

Go chat with a dive shop at home and see what they offer. That will help you make a decision.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,929 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: PADI Open Water Course at the Akumal Dive Shop?

Agree with CoPilot

Do the online PADI training, pool dives at home, get a referral

For Akumal , this is one of the best groups out of the Dive Centre

http://divewithnatalieandivan.com/

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Bryans Road
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PADI Open Water Course at the Akumal Dive Shop?

If you can extend your holiday, do it! Not for the diving necessarily ;-). Some folks forget that you need to have rudimentary swimming abilities. You will need to be able to swim 200 meters (no time limit) and tread water for 10 minutes. Diving opens up another whole world! Good luck! Oh yeah, ADC has a good rep and they've been a fixture for a long time.

4. Re: PADI Open Water Course at the Akumal Dive Shop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2015, 05:16