We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money matters

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
money matters

Hi there,

Can anyone please let me know, if it is better to bring travelers cheques or cash, also is there anywhere to change our money (american dolars or pesos)? We will be staying in Akumal, leaving in 2 weeks. Thank you

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: money matters

I couldn't say what's better but I can tell you what we do...

We bring some USD for immediate expenses and get pesos from ATM machines, the exchange rate is usually very good... And we think It's much easier to deal in pesos rather then do math in your head...

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money matters

Thank you for your advice, found it very helpful as we've never been to mexico before. I also happen to have few more questions & would be very grateful if i could have some info on...

1. We are staying in Akumal Beach Resort & would like to go snorchling, we don't really want to bring our own equipment (lack of space in suitcase) so can we buy it out there? If so, what is the price range. Or is it better to rent?

2. Any info on kids clubs or babysitting services in the ABR & the costs?

3. Anywhere to book cheap trips around the area as the organised company trips are too expensive? Would love to swim with dolphins, but way too expensive through our travel agents.

4. We will be staying in the old part of the hotel. We read about it but not really surre what to expect. Anyone got any pics please or more info about their experience? Also how powerful are the hairdriers in the hotel? I have long hair, takes ages to dry

Thanks again for any info

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money matters

Definitely bring some USD in cash for arrival, and your ATM card to get Mexican pesos in cash.

4. Re: money matters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2006, 19:31
DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: money matters

Also don't forget U.S. 1 dollar bills for tipping! The resort workers work extremely hard at pleasing you...

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,947 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: money matters

Welcome and I hope your ABR trip is unforgetable. If you are from Wales and have to enchange $, best to do it in pesos. ATM machines in ABR or Akumal are almost better than Traveller's Cheques (which are a good backup though)

There are two scuba shops in Akumal that will rent or sell you your snorkelling equipment. LG Forums tells you a lot of info.

Trips can be found at http://www.akumal.com/

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: money matters

We always get some pesos here in US, maybe $150 USD worth. Gets us out of airport until we can find local ATM. But easy here in the States to find place to buy pesos. but in wales with less than two weeks.?? Maybe you should look for ATM in airport.

we took travelers checks once, won't do that again. person cashing them has right to decide exchange. bank would be fair but car rental place won't.

we did use a few USD for tips, but for most part make purchases with pesos.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: money matters

Thank you all for your advice. Does anyone know if the ATM machines have cirrus or maestro logo in Akumal area?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: money matters

Leave the travellers cheques at home, people have had lots of problems trying to use them.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: money matters

No travellers cheques for us then. Don't want any problems when we get there. Thank you

Is there anywhere in Akumal to get some toiletries, shampoo, conditioner etc? We are slowly packing & don't know where to put it all. If we could buy our toiletries out there, it would save us lots of space.