We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you still climb the ruins?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
442 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Can you still climb the ruins?

Does anyone happen to know if you can still climb the ruins? We are planning on being there in July and are hoping to climb it.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,447 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you still climb the ruins?

At Coba, yes .... but not at Chichen Itza.

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
364 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you still climb the ruins?

I just read a review for Coba Ruins and someone stated that the pyramid will not be accessible after June 2013. I too am visiting in July. Can anyone confirm whether or not the pyramid will be open in July 2013. I may choose to visit Chichen Itza if Coba cannot be climbed. Thanks.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you still climb the ruins?

For several years there has been a false rumor that climbing will be stopped at Coba in the next several months (or some other time frame) and except for a very short closure for maintenance about a year or so ago the ability to climb the main pyramid has not changed. I’m not saying that the day will not come when climbing is restricted or eliminated but until that actual day comes (and is verified that no climbing is allowed) I would still plan on going in July. Another option for climbing is the ruins at El Balam. While smaller than Coba or Chichen Itza EB is still fascinating and worth the trip.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
442 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you still climb the ruins?

Chelseasly - I just messaged the last five people that posted reviews on Coba. I asked specifically if there were any signs or notifications related to tourists no longer being able to climb the main temple at Coba. They all said that there were no notifications. A few of them just mentioned that they heard rumors that it may change. They all said that we should be fine for July. I have climbed it before, but really want my daughters to have the experience too.

I also went to Chichen Itza and I was bored compared to Coba. At Coba, it was like I was discovering it for the first time. If they did close it off to tourists, I would take BobDidIt's advice and go to Ek Balam. I have seen some pretty pics from there.

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
364 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you still climb the ruins?

Thank you for the feedback. The tour operator had not heard of the closure either. Hopefully it is just a rumor.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you still climb the ruins?

Folks are still climbing. Rumors of closure have been going on for years. May or may not happen. Right now I personally believe no closure soon b/c folks are really starting to discover this hidden gem and more visits mean more financial support for the area.

7. Re: Can you still climb the ruins?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 05:16