We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coba in April?

Which Coba hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
611 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Coba in April?

IWe will be going to Cancun - staying at NIzuc Resort w/corporate group in first wk in April. We will be going to Chichen Itza w/this corporate group .

We will stay several extra days on our own after corporate group leaves. TAs suggeested that we go to Coba instead of Tulum as it is more interesting. Questions re: Coba.

What's the best way to see Coba? private tour with small group or alone ( Husband and me and guide?) Is this safe? Recommendations pls.

How long is this trip from Nizuc Resort to Coba?

Weather in Coba? I get heat exhaustion and sick from extreme heat . Will temp /climate in Coba be too humid, hot in April for me to go? Would Tulum be "cooler"?

I read that you can climb the pyramids in Coba and this would be of great interest to us Will be wearing shorts, tank, sunblock shirt/hat and shades and tons of sunblock lotion.

Shoes? Read TAs suggestions on different footwear for Coba's climbing........which is better.

See links are both types of shoes from LLBean - which is better? I have both but only want to bring 1 on this trip.

www.llbean.com/llb/shop/76839…

www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63392…

Thanks so much for all your help!

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
105 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coba in April?

We have been to both Tulum and Coba in June and it was pretty hot! I would expect April to be a bit cooler. Tulum is on the coast, so there is bit of an ocean breeze. You can wear your swim suits and go for a swim, as there is beach access from the ruins. Tulum has been fully excavated and is more of a structured site, with walkways, paths and jungle has been cleared. Coba is inland, about an hour drive from Tulum. It is more of a natural setting, much larger and is still being excavated (pretty amazing). Since it is so large, they have bicycles that can be rented for $1 - 2. Biking is an excellent way to see the ruins. We drove to the site and did not have a guide, just a map and the bikes. There are many guides waiting near the entrance that you can pay to show you the area. It is very safe, we had 2 teenage girls with us and never were concerned. As far as the shoes, I would recommend the Keen type sandal, good for walking, biking and can get wet. Have a wonderful time.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
138 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coba in April?

We went to Chichen Itza (inland) in April and it was HOT. Even when the temp is 80 degrees, the sun just beats down. We brought water along - can't remember if we were allowed to bring it in or not. We had a nice cool bus ride home and it was worth it. It will be hot in April, probably not as hot as June... Tulum should be cooler, and like shebech said, you can cool off and swim there. I've been to Tulum and Chichen Itza - the 2nd is my favorite! Tulum would be great to see first and then your next trip go to Chichen Itza and maybe Coba. Maybe I am missing out on a gem, Coba, that I need to visit!

New York
Level Contributor
611 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coba in April?

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. My biggest concner is with heat/humidity. I get heat exhaustion and get dizzy/vomit, So this is the only reason I ask all these questions. Without a doubt, I 'd love to see Coba Chichen Itza and then Tulum,. But it is the heat that scares me.

So far we are going w/corporate group to Chichen Itza on a/c bus all day. Hope I dont embarrass myself and get sick! Will be wearing tank top shorts, with long sleeve sunblock shirt,, hat, sunglasses and light colored umbrella ( for shade) and even packing 2 small ice packs and water bottle w/fan spritzer! AM I PREPARED OR NUTS???

I really want to see these grand sites but only worried about getting sick, being embarrassed and ruining my vacation for day or two.

PRaying that the heat in first wk in April at Chichen Itza wont be too oppressive and if I survive this all day outing I will see how I feel about Coba . Tulum seems more commercial but cooler. So we will see.

Thanks again and wish me luck!

Fairborn, Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coba in April?

One advantage with Coba is that there is much, much more shade than Chichen Itza, for example, since so much of the trees and vegetation haven't been cleared away at Coba. Now, Nohoch Mul (the large pyramid you can climb) itself is certainly exposed to the sun - and you will get hot climbing it. But there is plenty of shade nearby to retreat into and a snack shop selling cold drinks, too. Definitely rent bikes as it saves you time and energy!

Chichen Itza does have shady spots, as does Tulum, so perhaps take it slow and take a break in the shade frequently. Being beside the ocean you should have a nice breeze at Tulum which helps. Keep hydrated of course. And if you can do more of your activity in the early morning it will of course be cooler, too. Have fun!

New York
Level Contributor
611 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coba in April?

Thanks for your info> Our trip was April 2014. Will keep your advice for future trips.

6. Re: Coba in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2016, 06:18