We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Market in Telchac

Which Telchac Puerto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Market in Telchac

We just got to Telchac Puerto for a 2 month stay in January-March. We popped through town today (a Wednesday) at noon and the place was a ghost town. I noticed some closed up stalls around the square and the pier - is there a weekly Saturday or Sunday market this time of year, or do things close up for the off season?

Also we had trouble finding a hardware store or bakery and I've heard there are both - can anyone confirm where these are?

Google maps has a surprising amount of detail on the area, even street view!:

https://www.google.ca/maps?q=*&hl=en&ll=21.341908,-89.262977&spn=0.001174,0.005284&sll=21.343177,-89.260735&sspn=0.002763,0.005284&t=h&layer=c&cbll=21.341941,-89.263125&panoid=j7_5BnESJLIWk_qcSMx1_g&cbp=11,114.11,,0,1.24&radius=0.2&hq=*&z=18

4 replies to this topic
Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Market in Telchac

If you don't get the answers here, head over to Yolisto.com, which serves the expatriate community in Telchac and the rest of the seashore.

Enjoy your stay!

London ON
Level Contributor
270 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Market in Telchac

Hello Skatc, We stayed in a villa 2 km west of the pier for the last 3 Feb/Mars.

There is a great hardware store on the main east/west road about a block or 2 west of the bus terminal (road to Motul). There is also a good bakery around the corner(towards the beach) from the hardware store (there are other bakeries in town). I think the bakery has the word 'Pan' at the front. It does not look like a bakery, but if you look in the front glass sliding door, you will see some baked goods in the shelves. You wil be welcomed by the friendly proprietor and her husband. There is a large bakery located northwest of the main square in Motul.

We never did see a 'regular' farmers market in Telchac, however vendors do set up for Sat/Sun and holidays around the main square.

We loved walking along the beach to Telchac where we would have a something to eat at Tiburones.

Contact us if you would like further information.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 14:40
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Market in Telchac

Thank you both, this is very helpful. I think I did see the Panaderia you speak of but thought it must just be someone's home now. I'll make sure to poke my head in next time. :)

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Market in Telchac

I found two hardware stores on the two main roads, they must have just been closed for siesta the last time I was there (around 2pm); it seems like a lot of businesses close up here in the afternoon. I happened through on Sunday morning and it was still a total ghost town. Okay, there was one lady at a stall by the pier selling animals made out of seashells, and a couple families fishing.

Reply to: Market in Telchac
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Telchac Puerto