We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hacienda Uxmal vs Lodge at Uxmal

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Hacienda Uxmal vs Lodge at Uxmal

We're in the very preliminary stages of planning a Yucatan trip, and would like to stay near Uxmal. These two properties look to be our best options, but they look very, very similar (run by the same company, about 2 minute walk between them).

Anyone have any insight as to what separates them, besides price?

5 replies to this topic
Southern California
Level Contributor
13,553 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hacienda Uxmal vs Lodge at Uxmal

We stayed at Hacienda Uxmal and the rooms were very nice and clean, good pool but the bar did not open until about 4pm (this was in May). The only thing we did not care for was the food, there is one restaurant and it is buffet only, with not a lot of selection. The next night we ate at the Lodge at Uxmal and their food was great with a fairly extensive menu. Lodge was out of our price range. Try and get to the ruins when they open at 8am, we had it to ourselves other than a large tour group from Germany, but they were getting fitted out with guides and so forth, so we were the only ones there for awhile. Try and visit a couple of the Ruta Puuc ruins nearby as well, we visited Sayil and Kabah.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,859 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hacienda Uxmal vs Lodge at Uxmal

For our visit to Uxmal and the Ruta Puuc, we stayed at the Pickled Onion in Santa Elena - its one of my favorite places that i have ever stayed.

London ON
Level Contributor
284 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hacienda Uxmal vs Lodge at Uxmal

Also consider staying at the Flycatcher Inn B& B in Santa Elena. We stayed there for 2 nights and it was great. Good breakfast. We had lunch and dinner at the Pickled Onion - also great. Both are about a 20 min drive past Uxmal on the outskirts of Santa Elena. The El Chac-Mool restaurant is on the road between Flycatcher and Pickled - it has good food and a very interesting interior.

Be sure to walk around Santa Elena, it is an interesting town.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hacienda Uxmal vs Lodge at Uxmal

Thank you for all the suggestions. Pickled Onion and Flycatcher Inn both look lovely! (though it looks like Flycatcher doesn't have a pool, which would probably be a deal-breaker for my wife).

NYC
Level Contributor
137 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hacienda Uxmal vs Lodge at Uxmal

Did you rent a car at MID airport to get to Uxmal and Elena? Which company and any idea what it cost? I read that with insurance the car will cost 3 to 5x the quoted price but a taxi to Uxmal Hacienda and back 4 days later is quoted at $347.

Leslie NYC

Reply to: Hacienda Uxmal vs Lodge at Uxmal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted