We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi fares ?

England
Level Contributor
482 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi fares ?

We ( 2 adults, 2 kids ) will be in Valladolid for 4 days in april. I've found the rather interesting Mexigo tours site, but had planned to take taxis or maybe collectivos to where we want to go..

Can anyone tell me roughly how much a taxi will be from Valladolid to Chichen itza return and also what we should budget if we were to hire a taxi/driver for the day to take us to Rio Lagartos and Ek Balam ( on the same day )

I know this has been posted before, but I can't for the life of me find the posts :) thanks

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi fares ?

Don't know the answer to your question, but didn't want you to think no one was reading...

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,388 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi fares ?

I am reading also but dont know the answer. I lived in Valladolid for awhile but only used taxis in town. For longer trips I used buses or collectivos. From Valladolid , Chichen is well served by both. Likely will want to use a taxi for the others.

England
Level Contributor
482 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi fares ?

Thanks, I'll keep searching the old posts, should have made a note first time I found it.

florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi fares ?

I highly, highly recommend you go to Chichen Itza with MexiGo Tours rather than taking a taxi, for a number of reasons.. If I remeber correctly, it is about a 45 mins ride from Valladolid to Chichen, taxi will be relatively costly. MexiGo's prices are very reasonable. If you go w/ MexiGo, you will learn about where you are and what you are seeing.. the drive may not be part of the tour itself, but I guarantee it will be more educational, comfortable & enjoyable than taxi. MexiGo will get you to Chichen early, the massive crowds that come by 11AM can ruin the experience, for me anyway. Also, Toon (owner of MexiGo) will pre-arrange the Chichen tour w/ a very good guide for you, the guides we have found on our own, just showing up to a site, have been hit and miss... The guide Toon arranged for us was probably the best guide we have had (unfortunately, I forget her name, but ask MexiGo about the Dutch woman). :)

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi fares ?

The Mayan Adventure Map and Travel Guide at www.cancunmap.com has a lot of that information included. It also includes info about hotels, restaurants, sites, etc. in the area. I've used it many times and also given it as gifts.

England
Level Contributor
482 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi fares ?

Thanks. Linda-Linda, It looks as though Mexigo have changed their Chichen Itaza excursion, the one they are advertising now is a full day and goes to Izimal (?) as well, I'd love to go there, but don't really want to do 2 full day excursions as it would leave us with less time to see Valladolid.I'll have to email Mexigo with a few questions.

IHX - I have my maps- they arrived a few weeks ago and I think I've memorised every detail since ( over organised? me? never :) ) thanks anyway.

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi fares ?

Good for you. I love having hings organized. It used to drive my sons crazy; but we only had so many vacation dollars, I couldn't see wasting them by dithering about what to do and where to go once we got there. I wanted it planned the best we could. Now that it's just the two of us, it's a bit more relaxed. We have more money and more time :)

England
Level Contributor
482 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi fares ?

Back off our trip now and thought I'd answer my own question incase it's of use to someone else :)

While in Valladolid, we hired a taxi for the day to take us wherever we wanted , taxi driver was recommended by owner of guesthouse we stayed in and cost was $130 .

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi fares ?

Thanks for checking back in. People often ask questions here but don't come back and let us know how it all worked out practically. Where all did the taxi driver take you that day? What else did you do in Valladolid?

England
Level Contributor
482 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi fares ?

The first day we went from Valladolid to Chichen Itza ( leaving early so we could tour before the coaches arrived ),we then went to Cenote Samul (?) back into Valladolid for lunch stop, and then onto Ek Balam.

The next day we went to Rio Lagartos and took a boat ride to see the Flamingos.We could have continued on to San felipe ( I think that is what it's called ? ) but we skipped that to give us more time in Valladolid. Oh, we also stopped at the prison to buy a hammock before returning to the guesthouse. That excursion cost a little more, $140 I think .