We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit Cenote Dzitnup?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit Cenote Dzitnup?

What are the best time to visit Cenote Dzitnup? I am hoping to miss the bus loads of tourists.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit Cenote Dzitnup?

We are also planning a trip to this cenote but after Ek Balam so most likely will be in the afternoon - probably a busy time I would assume? Guessing first thing in the morning would be the quietist?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit Cenote Dzitnup?

That is what I was thinking. After a visit to Ek Balam the cenote would be the most refreshing, though. I would like to avoid the tour buses.

Tropigal, are you planning to check out the cenote by Ek Balam?

Will you be staying in Valladolid?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit Cenote Dzitnup?

We are staying in Akumal, so we are renting a car for the day and leaving early in the morning to do Ek Balam.. then either into Valloladid and cenote or cenote then Valloladid....

We were trying to decide between Dzitnup, Zaci and Sammula?

We are driving back to Akumal after!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit Cenote Dzitnup?

That sounds like a super fun day!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit Cenote Dzitnup?

Does anyone know what times the tour buses are usually at Cenote Dzitnup?

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit Cenote Dzitnup?

Tour buses, if arriving from Cancun before or Chichen, will get there 10-ish or in the early afternoon.

My favorite time to visit is around noon, when the sun is directly overhead and shines a beam of light directly into the center of the cenote. You may remember a National Geographic cover photo of a cenote with this beam of light shining into it - this was taken at Dzitnup cenote.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit Cenote Dzitnup?

Thank you Bill! I think that we will try to arrive about noon. I would love to see it at its most spectacular!

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit Cenote Dzitnup?

Of the three cenotes I would recommend Samula... although, Dzitnup is right across the street so you could do both.

Zaci isn't all that impressive...it is an "open" cenote so the water is not the transparent blues that you will find in Dzitnup and Samula.

However, the restaurant at Zaci is excellent.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit Cenote Dzitnup?

look at them on youtube to decide.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to visit Cenote Dzitnup?

"Tour buses, if arriving from Cancun before or Chichen, will get there 10-ish or in the early afternoon".

Thinking of arriving at Dzitnup around noon. Will this be a busy time. Another poster had suggested this is prime time for viewing the sunlight. Is there a lull around this time as perhaps morning tour buses have left and the afternoon buses have not yet arrived?

Get answers to your questions about Valladolid