We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ek Balam best times to visit?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Ek Balam best times to visit?

We are thinking of driving to Ek Balam from Tulum and wondered what the best times are to visit the site.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ek Balam best times to visit?

Morning

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ek Balam best times to visit?

The best time to arrive there would be as soon as the site is open (8 am). There's a good chance you would have the site all to yourselves.....for a little while anyways.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ek Balam best times to visit?

If we can not make the opening would it be preferable to go at 10 or afternoon?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ek Balam best times to visit?

go as early morning as you can to avoid the mid day heat

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ek Balam best times to visit?

During the rainy season (now through November), morning would be better. In the afternoon you run the risk of a sudden shower or thunderstorm. I got caught in one of those while at the top of the pyramid there. Not for the faint of heart.

In the dry season, especially in winter when the days are short, I like to go as late in the day as possible if I miss the early morning. The late afternoon light makes for dramatic photographs. The carved figures on the main pyramid are also more visible in the afternoon light.

Have a great trip!

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ek Balam best times to visit?

Definitely morning. One trip husband wanted to stop off there on our drive back from Rio Lagartos but it was 1pm and just too darn hot for me, so we went there on another trip. Have a great time, it is a beautiful ruin.

7. Re: Ek Balam best times to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 21:16