We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ek Balam under restoration?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Ek Balam under restoration?

I just read on another forum that Ek Balam was under restoration. The poster mentioned that, the statues were being restored, were completely covered and that they could not been seen at all.

I am guessing that poster was referring to the carvings that are midway up the main pyramid.

So, would any of our TA experts recommend going to Ek Balam if the carvings are completely covered and not visible?

Also the poster said that guides are now asking 500 pesos...

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,418 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

I really havent heard but I would enjoy Ek Balam in any case. Now if would just cover the vendors at Chichen Itza!

Dont know about guides prices, I dont use them. But , as with most things in Mexico, ignore them and I think the price will come down rapidly.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

500 pesos for a guide at Ek Balam? Ridiculous for such a small site. I'm with Robert on this one. But I wouldn't bother with a guide at Ek Balam in the first place UNLESS it was the first Maya ruin I visited ever. And maybe even then I'd wait to hire a guide at Chichen or Coba or Uxmal.

If the statues are covered that is unfortunate. They were last worked on in 2009, so maybe they need some work. I went to the site of INAH, the agency that would be in charge of that work, and they made no mention of it.

If the statues are covered AND the pyramid closed to climbing, I'd pass on Ek Balam, personally, and instead go to Coba where I would get a similar experience. But if the pyramid is open to climb, that makes the visit worth it, in my mind.

Again, have a good trip!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,418 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

I agree with EJ, If the pyramid is closed, which I havent heard , I would instead opt for Coba.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

I think that the pyramid is open to climbing. I am just feeling disappointed. The carvings were what I really wanted to see at Ek Balam :(

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

Does anyone have a guess as to how long the carving would be under restoration? They were covered yesterday and we will be there in one month. I would guess that they would not be finished by then, but that is just me guessing!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

The last time restoration work was done it was scheduled for two months and completed in less than that.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

hmmm, I wonder when this round started. I would really like to be able to wee the carving when we are there at the end of November.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

Does anyone have any ideas about how to find out when the restoration in scheduled to be completed?

minneapolis
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

If the pyramid isn't closed to climbing go to Ek Balam. The carvings are always under a palapa/sheltered anyway and maybe they were extra covered for protection from the storm. The view from the top is amazing. There are also plenty of other interesting structures as well.

You don't need a guide. Just print out some info from the Internet to take along and go at your own pace.

If you go to Coba definitely get a guide and do the long version of the tour.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

I would like to find out if the the carvings will be visible before we go. I wish there was a way to find out beforehand. I don't think that we will go if we can not see the carvings.

Thank you Sumex for the guide tip. I will do that!