We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ek Balam under restoration?

Which Valladolid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Ek Balam under restoration?

I just read on another forum that Ek Balam was under restoration. The poster mentioned that, the statues were being restored, were completely covered and that they could not been seen at all.

I am guessing that poster was referring to the carvings that are midway up the main pyramid.

So, would any of our TA experts recommend going to Ek Balam if the carvings are completely covered and not visible?

Also the poster said that guides are now asking 500 pesos...

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

The best way to find out is to either post on a forum before you go or, one of my favorite ways, is search Internet photo sites, such as Flickr, for Ek Balam, and sort by date. Make sure you note when the photo was taken versus when it was posted.

Good luck.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

I am sure that the tourism office in Valladolid will be able to confirm whether or not the carvings are covered up or not. If the restoration is anything like the restoration of the museum here in Dzibilchaltun, it will take years. OK, I exaggerate - but this one has been undergoing "restoration" by INAH for several months now, if not most of a year.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

Thank you EJ and Bill, for the great suggestions! I will do all of 'em!

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

I was quoted $500 MXP for a tour at Ek Balam last year. I showed little interest in the offer, but the price didn't come down.

Foreign visitors should be aware that such a price is WELL over the top, especially for such a small site. As was suggested, print out info from the Net and waft the pages in front of the guide's nose.

I find it hard to believe that guides have not woken up to current day realities.

Equally, when will the Secretary of Tourism/INAH/CONACULTA begin to offer self-guided audio tours at archeological sites? This is standard fare at tourist attractions across the world.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

In answer to your last question, one word: unions.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

There is a company in Oaxaca that had been contracted by Conaculta (I think) to produce audio tours. I exchanged e-mail with them in late 2009 and they promised they would be out in early 2010.

http://www.americanegypt.com/blog/?p=629

I pinged them again late last year, and they said they were still coming. We're now more than two years from when they were announced and nada.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

Any news on the carvings at Ek Balam?

I have been wondering if the carvings were (as mentioned above) were covered to protect them from the storm.

I have my fingers crossed that they are uncovered and that I will find that out before we leave on our vacation.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

Checking in one last time before we leave tomorrow am.

Has anyone heard if the carving are view-able?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,742 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

My suggestion...just go.

20. Re: Ek Balam under restoration?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2013, 10:21