We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food safety

Which Valladolid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mahopac, New York
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
food safety

We are leaving next Wed for Isla Mujeres and the Valladolid. Cant wait. It is our first trip to Mexico. So, do I need to bring any medications in case I get sick from the food? Also, I will be doing some cooking as I have a kitchen in Isla. I love to eat fruits and salads. Is there something I should bring to wash fruits and veggies? Should I avoid these foods in restaurants if they are not cooked? Are most of the restaurants safe? And what about food vendors?

Thanks for your input. Wendy

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,180 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food safety

I enjoy all the food and never have a problem. Just use common sense , as you would at home. I wash my fruit and vegetables in a solution of Microdyn or a similar product. Most restaurants do the same. You will find it, or similar, in most any large Mexican grocery in the produce section.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food safety

I just got back from Valladolid and have travelled to Isla mujeres many times. I eat whatever without problems - fruits, veggies, street food. I do eat yogurt most days on my trip. I don't know if it helps or not but it tastes good! Eating new foods is one of my favorite things about the yucatan peninsula. In the past, I have used the iodine wash but I have stopped cooking in Mexico - the food is so good and cheap that I'd rather not cook since I do that all the time at home. Enjoy your trip!!

Atascadero...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food safety

We've been to the Pacific side several times and just returned from a week in the Yucatan which included a lunch in Valladolid at El Meson del Marques and old mission hotel. It was one of the best meals of the trip.

After multiple trips, we've found the food hygiene to better in the Yucatan than any other region of Mexico. That being said, I wouldn't take anything for granted though. Use common sense, take precautions and the healthier you arrive in Mexico the less chance you'll have any major problems.

We eat yogurt every day at home, but usually a week before our departure we switch to Activia or other heavily laden probiotic yogurt and continue with that while in traveling ANYWHERE, even stateside. Traveling exposes us all to other folk's germs and airborne illnesses on the planes and in airports. It also is out of our body's normal routine and an be stressful if things don't go perfectly.

The food every where we traveled was fresh, well prepared and so CHEAP that despite having a kitchen to use, we ate out way more often than we expected because it all tastes so good.

Enjoy and try not to worry about ANYTHING!

Mahopac, New York
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food safety

Thank you all for your responses. They are very helpful. Wendy

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food safety

I carry nothing but hand sanitizer, and Imodium in case I forgot to use hand sanitizer.

Antibiotics, Dukoral, etc. - I think those are all overkill for Mexico.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: food safety

Antibiotics, Dukoral, etc. - I think those are all overkill for Mexico.

Agree. We don't even ask for bottled water at almost all restaurants any more.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,180 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: food safety

If you ask for water at restaurants, you can be sure they are giving you either a bottle or a glass of water from their large bottle. No one drinks the water.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: food safety

I realize that we probably get it from a large dispenser in the back, but we never, ever get charged for water when we ask for non-bottled water. We often also drink it out of the faucet at the reserts we go to.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,180 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: food safety

Most wont charge if you ask for a glass of water. I would never drink tap water at any resort. They will often tell you they have their own purification system but you never know if it is maintained and its doubtful it is ever inspected.

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: food safety

The ickiest place I've eaten in years was one of the stands at El Bazaar. We didn't want to go there but the place we were headed was PACKED because it was the Day of the Revolution. That's the only place I'd avoid after this last experience as well as a couple of other underwhelming visits.