We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ADO/Collectivo questions for 3 days in Valladolid

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,908 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
ADO/Collectivo questions for 3 days in Valladolid

We plan on spending 3 days in Valladolid before our 2 weeks at an AI in Akumal. A few questions:

1. Is there an ADO that will take us directly from CUN Airport to Valladolid?

2. What is the best/cheapest options on getting from our hotel in Valladolid to Chichen Itza and possible Ek Balm? Are there collectivos and if so, where are they located?

3. Is there an ADO that can take us directly from Valladolid to our resort in Akumal? If not, where is the closest ADO station to Akumal, where we could then take a taxi?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,825 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ADO/Collectivo questions for 3 days in Valladolid

I will try to help:

1) Not a bus from CUN to Valladolid. You will need to take ADO from the airport to the ADO Cancun terminal and an ADO bus to Valladolid from there. You can , however, buy you Valladolid ticket and reserve your seat at the airport.

2)From Valladolid to Chichen, you have ADO first class, Oriente second class buses and colectivos. The colectivos depart next to the ADO terminal for Chichen. I dont recall the departure point for Ek Balam but your hotel can advise.

3)In general, ADO buses only operate between terminals so nothing to Akumal. You can take ADO from Valladolid to Tulum and then a taxi or Mayab second class bus to Akumal. Colectivos exist but I dont recommend with luggage.

Edited: 07 April 2013, 14:40
2. Re: ADO/Collectivo questions for 3 days in Valladolid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 April 2013, 14:40
Edited: 07 April 2013, 14:40
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,908 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ADO/Collectivo questions for 3 days in Valladolid

Robert you answered all of my questions in great detail...thank you so much!

Do you know if there is a luggage locker at the ADO Cancun Downtown station, if we wanted to explore Cancun for a few hours?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,825 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ADO/Collectivo questions for 3 days in Valladolid

Yes, ADO has a luggage storage room in the terminal where you pay by the hour and size of the bag. It is in the area where you exit as you come off the buses. Very safe and well run.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,908 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ADO/Collectivo questions for 3 days in Valladolid

You sure know your stuff Robert! Do you know how much appozimately it costs to store a full sized luggage bag, per hour?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,825 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ADO/Collectivo questions for 3 days in Valladolid

Now you have stumped me, ha ha. I don´t remember exactly but seem to remember about 8 pesos per hour, more or less. That could be a bit off.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,370 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ADO/Collectivo questions for 3 days in Valladolid

You will find this site to be very useful

ticketbus.com.mx

There is an English version. I typically just choose one way to get times.

Also the Mayan Adventure and possibly Riviera Maya maps/guides from cancunmap.com may make your planning much easier.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,908 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ADO/Collectivo questions for 3 days in Valladolid

I assume a collectivo to Chichen Itza is 20-30 pesos? For the return trip to Valladolid, are there collectivos waiting at the Chichen Itza ruins?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,825 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ADO/Collectivo questions for 3 days in Valladolid

I assumed you know where to find the bus information since you didnt ask. If not, either the site given or www.ado.com.mx will have the information. I typically use the ado site for my frequent trips on ADO.

I think you are about correct on the Chichen Itza fare from Valladolid. Not always collectivos waiting since they dont always originate at Chichen but you will see others waiting and they do pass frequenty.

BC
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ADO/Collectivo questions for 3 days in Valladolid

The area around the Cancun bus station is fine to explore, you might want to bring a map with you, as I found the angled streets leading me in a direction a bit different than I expected.

When in Valladolid, I saw collectivos for Ek Balam on the street that the Hotel Zaci is located. The taxis were north of there about a block, on the other side of the street, in a parking lot courtyard.