We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the water in yucatan cenotes safe?

Which Valladolid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
12 posts
Save Topic
Is the water in yucatan cenotes safe?

I have searched web but find no info on whether the water in cenotes is polluted by human waste

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,917 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the water in yucatan cenotes safe?

All it takes is one kid with a leaky diaper...

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,409 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the water in yucatan cenotes safe?

Ha ha, agree with VP. I would consider most in the interior of the Yucatan peninsula safe but not certain where you have in mind. While many don't worry about it, from what I have read, don't feel those in the so called Riviera Maya may be so safe from contamination.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the water in yucatan cenotes safe?

There have been a few studies of late regarding water quality in cenotes. As I read them, the water in a cenote is the same as swimming in your local pond. There will be fecal coliform and other pollutants, same as there would be in any open freshwater body of water.

What is a little upsetting is that many of the cenotes -- not the ones reserved for tourists, but used as water sources for small villages and such -- are also used to dump waste. Also, chemicals used in slash and burn agriculture are finding their way into the water table.

So swimming should be okay, but don't swallow the water. People with certain sensitivities may get rashes and such, but really, those are the people who should be swimming in fresh water in the first place.

Edited: 09 December 2013, 12:38
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,409 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the water in yucatan cenotes safe?

Good information , EJ. I have seen several articles and a video regarding cenotes in the Tulum area. According to these, several resorts drill deep and pump their sewage into the ground. Guess where that likely ends up? For that reason, I avoid cenotes in that area. And one basic rule, as EJ says, don´t swallow the water.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the water in yucatan cenotes safe?

The OP's question begs for a simple answer: keep looking.

(joking)

6. Re: Is the water in yucatan cenotes safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2014, 06:17