We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gas station north of Valladolid still swindling tourists

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
Save Topic
Gas station north of Valladolid still swindling tourists

For years the old fellow who appears to be in charge at the Pemex station between the toll road (Cuota) and Valladolid has been pulling cons on tourists.

On my most recent trip down there he tried to pull the bill-switching con (I handed him a 200-peso note, which he not-so-magically switched into a 20-peso note so he could try to shake me down for another 200 pesos). I just wagged my finger at him and drove off.

When I first started coming down, he scammed me a couple of times. These days I'm onto his tricks (he also short-changes and restarts the pump with an earlier customer's balance on it). It used to make me angry, but people have been complaining about him for years and nothing has been done, so I assume he's an institution.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Gas station north of Valladolid still swindling tourists

So which pemex do you use in his area?

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Gas station north of Valladolid still swindling tourists

If you are on the toll road, there is a gas station at the Isla de Servicios. Also, on the outskirts of Valladolid, there is one on the road to Chichimila. And in downtown Valladolid there is another station.

Boston...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Gas station north of Valladolid still swindling tourists

Are there other options in the area?

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Gas station north of Valladolid still swindling tourists

T-Ashtons. I see you're headed for V, Spain, during Easter. Are you sure you're on the right forum here?

Paris, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
95 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Gas station north of Valladolid still swindling tourists

I had the same experience about a year ago. But, unlike some of the other contributors, I have seen this at stations all over Mexico. At Playa del Carmen, the station at Constituyentes and the main highway, there is a guy who tries to run the pump back to the previous sale. There are several stations on Highway 57 between Saltillo and Queretaro that run scams as well. Be cautious of the double-team. One will be filling the pump and the other will try to engage you in conversation. Or, if you don't speak Spanish, the partner will act concerned about your tire pressure or want to check the oil or radiator. Anything to distract you. If you are traveling with someone, have them get out and be a second pair of eyes, even if there is a single attendant!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Gas station north of Valladolid still swindling tourists

I got scammed with the old "switcheroo" in PDC in 2011. All Pemex stations should be suspect.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Gas station north of Valladolid still swindling tourists

All Pemex stations? Gimme a break.

28. Re: Gas station north of Valladolid still swindling tourists

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2016, 05:16