We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 4 days in Valladolid

Montreal
Level Contributor
299 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 4 days in Valladolid

Note that this is part of a trip report I posted in the Yucatan Forum.

Walked to Hotel Meson del Marques from bus station in 5 minutes. Loved our stay here, right on the main square. See my hotel review on TA. At last, this was the more authentic Mexico, with less tourists (except the tour buses that pop in for the day). Such a lovely colonial town, clean and safe, great buildings and many things you can walk to. Walked down to San Bernardino Monastery, Zaci Cenote and just around town. Also went to Casa de los Venados, a not to be missed largest Mexican folk art collection housed in a private home. Tours most days at 10AM for a donation which goes to charity. This was the highlight of my Aunt's trip as she liked this more than the ruins.

Food: Went twice to Casa Itali@, once for pizza and once for pasta so good and nice change from all the Mexican food we were eating. Also ate at La Chispa and our hotel restaurant which were great. Since we had fridge in our room, went to a grocery store on calle 39 and stocked up on cheese, yogurts, fresh bread which we had for some light lunches. Also had lunch at Zaci Cenote, also good.

Another reason to go to Valladolid was to go to Chichen Itza. This time we were not doing the tour bus thing with crowds and all. Arranged a taxi through our hotel, got there just after opening, vendors were still busy setting up so not too harassing and we basically had the place to ourselves. Wonderful! We did not take a guided tour since we had lots of info from the last tour and frankly, these were not my first Mayan Ruins having seen others in Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador. Otherwise, I suggest you get a guide. Our taxi driver waited for us and just as we were leaving the buses started pulling up and the crowds arriving. We were back at our hotel by 11 am. Taxi cost us $700 pesos for both ways and him waiting and for once I did not bother dealing it down. We were very happy with our visit.

Again, walked back to the ADO bus station, took the 1st class bus to Cancun for $176 pesos, another great 2 hour ride. Took a taxi for $60 pesos (first wanted $100pesos but I dealt him down) to Puerto Jaurez ferry terminal.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Hotel Zaci
Hotel Zaci
293 Reviews
Valladolid, Mexico
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
El Salvador
El Salvador
Central America
Ado
Ado
595 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 4 days in Valladolid

Valladolid makes for a lovely stay, agreed. We made sure to put it back into our itinerary this time around. Also agree about Casa de los Venados - one of our favorites. And hopefully for you that other trip report included Ek Balam? If not, it will make a great excuse for you to go back....if you really need one.

Mentioned in this post
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
milwaukee
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 4 days in Valladolid

Looking forward to our upcoming trip to Valladolid. Thanks for posting your impressions...........

Mentioned in this post
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
3. Re: Trip Report 4 days in Valladolid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 06:17