We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to get a visit to Valladolid, Ek Balam, Chichen Itza

Which Valladolid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lacey, Washington
Level Contributor
175 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to get a visit to Valladolid, Ek Balam, Chichen Itza

I am on my fifth trip to the area and haven't been to Chichen Itza yet ! Want to see Ek Balam and Valladolid as well. I am in Akumal and don't have a car and don't want to rent one. So, the best I can figure from research here is the following plan: early colectivo to Tulum, ADO bus to Valladolid. Colectivo to Ek Balam. Do the bike tour suggested by map chick maps. Maybe stay in a modest hotel for the night. Get up early and go to Chichen Itza when they open. Take ADO from Chichen Itza back to Tulum. Colectivo back to Akumal. I really want to do this, but it's feeling overwhelming! Robert, can you help me feel at ease about it? Doable?

Do buses back to Tulum run often from Chichen Itza or will I have to wait until 4:30?

I was thinking to spend the night since doing it all in one day might be too much, right?

Plus, thinking of the heat and seeing Chichen Itza in the am as many have suggested.

I am on a budget here.... Thus the above plan.

Any suggestions for hotels? Anything you'd change? Have a better plan for me? Thanks for any advice.

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Trying to get a visit to Valladolid, Ek Balam, Chichen Itza

Hotel San Clemente is also just fine and has a pool. I've also stayed at Zaci but last time the price they quoted us was much higher (550 or such compared to 400 for San Clemente). But then again, I have never booked ahead of time for a Valladolid hotel and maybe I got a cranky receptionist.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,058 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Trying to get a visit to Valladolid, Ek Balam, Chichen Itza

¨Sometimes the ratings make no sense to me! Sometimes I agree, but sometimes I wonder how on earth it's number 1 or even in the top ten! ¨

I totally agree with you. I often find the ratings mean little. And, as you said, I often found what is written in the reviews of the most value. There, you learn why the person rated the place as they did.

It can be refreshing to have a dip in a pool on a hot day!

Laura does always give excellent advice. When I lived in Valladolid, many did a bike tour and usually found that to be the most enjoyable part of their trip. Enjoy your trip!

23. Re: Trying to get a visit to Valladolid, Ek Balam, Chichen Itza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 07:16