We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in Valladolid

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,474 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights in Valladolid

The wife and I are planning on 2 nights in Valladolid. We will have a car rental and are planning on arriving in Valladolid mid-day and then spending the afternoon walking about the town. The next day would be an early visit (to beat the crowds) to Ek Balam and then another afternoon checking out the town. We would then leave for Chichen Itza and Merida.

Is 2 nights enough time to enjoy Valladolid? Any recommended budget (under US $50/night) hotels? Also, are there any recommended bars or places to enjoy some adult beverages and do some people watching?

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in Valladolid

2 nights in V should make for a fine visit. Our schedule would look slightly different than yours though. You don't generally need to worry about crowds at Ek Balam...but you do need to be at the Casa de los Venados by 10 in order to do their not-to-be-missed tour. Then Ek B after lunch or later in the day.

You have a lot of T-A experience, so you know you can research all the hotels yourself. $50/nt US doesn't leave you with any highly-rated choices - unless you want to try the Hostel La Candelaria, which a lot of people praise. If you are willing to go down the list, you can find a couple. If you can move a bit beyond your budget, you can add a couple more. I'll assume you already know that you don't have to stick to the "hotel" category...and my guess is you will love your stay in Valladolid.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,533 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in Valladolid

I pay little attention to TA ratings and always use the hotel I have used in Valladolid for over 10 years. Never a problem and a nice hotel which fits your budget. They have free secure parking with direct access to the hotel which I like. Not available in many Valladolid hotels.

Hostel La Candelaria does get excellent reviews but I prefer a place with no shared bathrooms.

The hotel is the Hotel Zaci (Mayan for Valladolid).

http://www.hotelzaci.com.mx/

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in Valladolid

Lots of good advice above.

Two nights is plenty in Valladolid as you plan to go on to Merida, which is Valladolid on steroids. If it was me, II would spend less time in V., because Merida is more fun, but it sounds like you know what you want to see, namely Ek Balam and Chichén Itzá, and Valladolid is the perfect base for that.

You don't say what time of year you will be traveling. If it's before the end of October, I'd skip Casa de los Venados in the morning for Ek Balam to avoid the possibility of late afternoon thunder showers. Admittedly, a home museum of Mexican crafts is not my thing, but I can't believe any of the above folks offering advice would recommend the Casa over Ek Balam. I consider Ek Balam a "don't miss" and twice I've been chased out of there by late afternoon t-storms. Maybe I was just unlucky.

After October, Ek Balam in the afternoon is as good a time as any.

As for bars and nightlife, Valladolid in my experience is not the kind of place for that. It's pretty sleepy.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,533 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in Valladolid

I agree, EJ. To me , Casa de los Venados is also not on my not to be missed list. Ek Balam is. And you definitely risk after thunderstorms at the ruins site.

Also agree Valladolid us a pretty sleepy town. I like it very much but after living there awhile, it became too sleepy for me!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,474 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights in Valladolid

Thanks everybody. I think we are going to try to see Ek Balam from Tulum and just spend one night in Valladolid so we can spend more more time in Merida

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights in Valladolid

I'm pretty sure you won't regret that decision. For dinner, consider Taberna des Frailes (I probably spelled that wrong). Great food in an interest setting, next to an old monastery.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nights in Valladolid

I agree...though I would also suggest the possibility of staying the first of your original 2 nights at Ch-I, then touring the site the next morning, then on to V for the 2nd night, then to Ek B the next morning, then to M. That woud let you hit everything you initially wanted, and would be easy to do with a car. And I see from the M forum you are trying to decide between Ux and Ch-I. I don't know how many nights you will have in M (I hope they coincide with the weekend), but if there are enough, you could add that too.

Brooklyn, New York...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nights in Valladolid

I've been doing my research for an upcoming trip to Valladolid and Chichen Itza. Although I haven't been before, it seems clear that Ek Balam is the way to go. There are several renowned cenotes in the CI and V area that I'm fitting into my trip--a dope way to cool off after walking the ruins for a couple of hours. One of them is called Ik-Kil. I read about it here. (And since you'll also be in Tulum, like me, the other 2 cenotes in the article below are closer to Tulum--FYI. Dos Ojos is the famous one.)

yucatan-holidays.com/featured-articles/…

After reading a lot of reviews, I'm most excited for the food in Valladolid. The place EJAlbright mentions, Taberna de los Frailes, sounds awesome. _Review-g499453-d1604132-Reviews-Taberna_de_los_Frailes-Valladolid_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

I'm also looking forward to eating at the Hacienda Selva Maya tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g499453-d3…

While there are many accommodations around $50 USD in Valladolid, we decided to up our budget a little and stay at this spot because people seem truly obsessed with it: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g499453-d270386…

Let us know how your trip goes!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 nights in Valladolid

(...it seems clear that Ek Balam is the way to go...)

Not exactly sure what you mean here, so I'll just say that Chichen Itza is worth a look, at least once in a lifetime....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,245 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 nights in Valladolid

As a NewYorkese translator, I think she means in comparison to Casa de los Venados, but not sure...

The local food in the green building on the main square/plaza/zocalo (I go to too many Mexican towns to keep straight what the central plaza is called in each region) has great regional specialties. Give me panuchos and sopa de lima any day!

Valladolid also has a small artisanal chocolate factory to tour and taste - and there was a tequila producer from Jalisco with a great tasting room. Things to do in the late afternoon after the ruins. And, there's a cenote right in town that isn't busy except when the tour buses are around.

Edited because I forgot to add the hotel name - Casa Quetzal. Very nice - located near Conventor Los Frailes. The mini-split AC was a little louder than expected. I think it was under $50 in December 2014

SuitcaseReady.com

Edited: 20 August 2014, 21:57