We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valladolid to Playa del Carmen road

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
55 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Valladolid to Playa del Carmen road

Google maps shows a road cutting south from 180 D (about 60 km east of V.) straight down to Playa del Carmen. My map (Borch) shows no such road. Does the road exist? If so, is it a toll road?

Thanks for your help.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
308 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valladolid to Playa del Carmen road

The road does exist; I drove on it in late December, shortly after it opened, and it saved at least 30 minutes. It is a toll road, currently two lanes for most of the length, but will be entirely four-lane-divided in the foreseeable future.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
55 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valladolid to Playa del Carmen road

Muchas gracias.

Boston...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valladolid to Playa del Carmen road

We drove by van with 6 fellow tourists and a Mexican couple who knew the road well as they have friends

in Merida. We left Playa del Carmen and drove the new highway for a total of 2 1/2 hours to Merida. The

road is newly constructed and continues under construction at a few points for very short distances. I

found the straight configuration of the road boring and nothing but low land topography to view. The speed

limits are fast, with very few automobiles. At the a little over the 1/2 way point there is a small complex

of automobile service, Mexican food eatery and a fruit store. The complex is very clean and neat with many snacks

for sale. We made this trip 2/16/2015. I find that it is a long road that has no turns (like life). Plan to

go in daylight as if your tired......you'll go to sleep at the wheel!

Boston...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valladolid to Playa del Carmen road

OOPS, ment took the road trip on 1/16/2015. Sorry

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,833 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valladolid to Playa del Carmen road

"found the straight configuration of the road boring and nothing but low land topography to view"

That pretty much describes most highways in the Yucatan. Not much in the way of scenery around. I usually take the ADO bus Playa to Merida so time for a good siesta!

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valladolid to Playa del Carmen road

This new toll section, like the toll highway it veers off of, is for the people who value the destination more than the journey.

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
566 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valladolid to Playa del Carmen road

Reminiscing again but I remember driving from Valladolid to Coba on my way back to cancun on my honeymoon back in '81. I think the road was dirt then but I honestly can't remember. My wife and I do remember seeing 2 very large snakes cross the road and at one point a large buzzard smashed into the passenger side window next to my wife. Scared the s*** out of us! Thankfully my wife had the window of our VW beetle closed! There was blood all over the window and side of the car. Never a dull moment when exploring Mexico!!

8. Re: Valladolid to Playa del Carmen road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2016, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Valladolid