We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi - Bus Station Question

Fairborn, Ohio
Level Contributor
53 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi - Bus Station Question

After staying in Playa del Carmen, our next stop will be a night at the Mayaland Hotel. While I see that there is a direct ADO first class bus from PDC to Chichen Itza, the timing isn't really ideal for us. Instead, we may take one of the more frequent ADO buses from PDC to Valladolid and from there to the Mayaland Hotel.

We're a party of 3 with luggage (two check bags and three backpack type carry-ons). I'm thinking that a colectivo probably isn't really feasible when traveling with luggage. My questions on the taxis:

Is it safe to assume there either is a taxi stand at the ADO terminal or that a taxi will be easy to come by at the station? And would one taxi be likely to accommodate us (not really sure what sized vehicles they tend to use)?

If the answer to the second question is "no", would a second-class bus be a better option for Valladolid-Chichen Itza? I realize that would be cheaper than a taxi however we'd prefer to continue on to the hotel right after arrival in Valladolid and not wait for the next bus.

One last question - I've seen comments here and there which seem to indicate some 2nd class buses still use the "old" bus terminal - if so, are there at least some that depart from the same location as the ADO 1st class buses?

Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
991 posts
1,688 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi - Bus Station Question

Second class bus stops directly in front of the hotel, plus you get to pass through Maya villages that, except for electricity, haven't changed much since the Conquest. I found it fascinating.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,811 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi - Bus Station Question

First , the Oriente second class buses depart every few minutes from the ADO terminal. One line does use the other terminal but are really nothing to worry about since they have few.

The taxis are the typical small taxis which allow a maximum of 4 people. But I would not want to go far with 4 in one of the taxis. Your luggage should be ok since some will fit in the trunk and you can always put 2 people and some luggage in the back seat. The taxi drivers are good at cramming it all in.

Normally a number of taxis are lined up in front of ADO. If not there, it will take minutes before one arrives.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi - Bus Station Question

As said, you should have no trouble finding a taxi. There were always plenty around the station when we were last there. And you are right about the colectivos and luggage. It sounds as if you would prefer a taxi, but here is a bus site with an English option, which might help:

www.ticketbus.com.mx

Finally, if you do decide on the bus, I am not sure about its drop-off point. What I have found tells me it does not stop at your hotel...but it is only half a mile from the Ch-I site to it, and agin, with taxis there...or my info could be wrong. But I am right about this - if you arrive at the V station hungry, there is a street cart right across the corner that sells really tasty tortas (carne asada)...Rubi's, with a red awning around the top.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,811 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi - Bus Station Question

The second class buses will stop at any point you choose along the route. Of course, all the second class buses stop in the Chichen Itza parking lot but not limited to that. Only the first class ADO buses restrict the stops to terminal points. If you do use the second class bus and have placed luggage underneath, make sure the driver knows so he does not leave as soon as you stop off the bus!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi - Bus Station Question

Yes, I thought that might be the case - about requested stops, I mean. But since you brought it up, the OP might want to know that there can be a very many of those stops...and the time it would take in a taxi could easily be half as much, obviously at a higher price. As is often the case, they might need to choose between money and time, or at least decide what their time is worth to them...

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,811 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi - Bus Station Question

Good point. But I have usually found the Valladolid to Chichen second class buses do not stop as frequently as they do on many routes. Always appears to me that most of the locals use the colectivos for the trip. They do stop a lot! Of course, the taxi will be faster. I am just too cheap to pay for it!

Fairborn, Ohio
Level Contributor
53 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi - Bus Station Question

Thanks for the info and advice folks!

Fairborn, Ohio
Level Contributor
53 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi - Bus Station Question

Just to follow up, the taxi from the ADO terminal worked out fine. Our luggage and the 3 of us fit - though I wouldn't recommend trying 4 plus luggage. The driver wasn't familiar with the Mayaland Hotel but I managed to direct him there so it worked out great. As I recall it was somewhere around $24 USD which while more than a bus was fine for us. Thanks again!

9. Re: Taxi - Bus Station Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2016, 17:16
Get answers to your questions about Valladolid