We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What eateries have the best local Yucatecan cuisine?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
298 posts
306 reviews
Save Topic
What eateries have the best local Yucatecan cuisine?

Hello!

I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations of where I would find local restaurants or eateries that sell cheap and traditional Yucatecan cuisine, such cochinita pibil among others? Also, where can I find the best local and cheap tacos?

Thanks in advance!

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,953 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What eateries have the best local Yucatecan cuisine?

My favorite is Mr. Taco which is a couple of blocks away from the main square. The lomitos sold from the cart in the mornings outside the cathedral are also pretty good. I am sure others will offer suggestions for Yucatecan food in Valladolid but when I am there, I am typically looking for straight tacos rather than traditional regional food! :)

Edited: 04 March 2015, 12:49
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,344 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What eateries have the best local Yucatecan cuisine?

I eat a lot of Yucatecan food in the Yucatan... In Valladolid, the best meals I had were in the green building facing the main square with the multiple food vendors inside. I tried 2 - and ended up going back to the same one over and over.

When you walk in, with your back to the street it's on the left - the last one on the left side. You can just tell it's busier and the most popular by all the locals sitting in the tables in front of it. They have excellent panuchos, salbutes, sopa de lima. I didnt have conchinita pibil.

Warning - this isn't the most clean looking stand, but it is relatively clean, and I had no short or long term results. The entire place is very clean looking - not some dingy market. There are signs with prices if your Spanish isn't great - it should be self explanatory.

SuitcaseReady.com

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What eateries have the best local Yucatecan cuisine?

Those spots are our faves too...We call it the "food court". Easiest directions might be to say it's next to the Meson de Marques. Last time there we had a "Pibil Tasteoff" - My wife's choice won. Another quick and tasty bite is the carne asada torta at Rubi's, a food cart right across from the ADO station...

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,953 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What eateries have the best local Yucatecan cuisine?

I thought of one more: Doña Ermelinda's is right across from Hotel Zaci and typically open mornings for Yucatecan antojitos.

And something I always wondered about: it seems only a couple of Mayan dishes and foods have crossed into being sold on the street and in restaurants and are no longer made at home or very rarely. I've never seen many of the common everyday or special occasion dishes served in any restaurants except for maybe a random dish here or there. I have always wondered why as one thing people tend to really like about this area is the food.

On the other hand, there are things that are so easy to get on the street that almost never get made at home. I guess it makes sense....why go through all the work of making panuchos when you can buy them from the little old lady for three pesos each.

Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,215 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What eateries have the best local Yucatecan cuisine?

The Hotel Maria de Luz has a pretty good Yucatecan selection as does the Restaurant Zaci with its cenote.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,833 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What eateries have the best local Yucatecan cuisine?

Good information from gb. I much prefer the food at Doña Ermelinda's than the food court area. When I lived there, I liked many little places around town but many had no name, as far as I can recall.

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,953 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What eateries have the best local Yucatecan cuisine?

Last time I ended up in El Bazaar was when Doña Ermelinda was packed because of a national holiday. Found a hair in my torta, which normally wouldn't drive me over the edge but the torta was so horrible anyway I wouldn't have finished even without the hair. Most disappointing meal ever.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What eateries have the best local Yucatecan cuisine?

That market next to the Marques gives me the willy-nillies. There is charmingly run down, and there is filthy. If you were wanting experience a stomach bug event, that would be the place I would recommend. Cheap comes up often in the original question so not sure that I can recommend my two faves in Valladolid which are excellent, well worth the money and have both great food and great service (my pet peeve): Yerbabuena and La Taberna de los Frailes.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What eateries have the best local Yucatecan cuisine?

I apparently have more of a tolerance for the "food court" than Mr. Lawson, as I have eaten there when I'm in a hurry, but if I was new to Mexico, I wouldn't. One of the keys to surviving the region is to know when it is best NOT to eat something, and I had one meal there that I threw in the trash.

Neither of the two restaurants listed by Mr. Lawson would qualify as cheap, nor is the Marques next door to the food court. But the food and quality, in my experience, has been good at all of them (some don't like the Marques, but those experiences appear to be related to tour buses jamming the place. It is always good advice to never eat at any restaurant when it has a busload).

Whatever you decide, please report back. If you have side effects, don't go into details. A word or two will suffice as we all have been there.

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
566 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What eateries have the best local Yucatecan cuisine?

I don't find the Mason del Marques that expensive. On our recent stay we ate there twice, and for a party of 4 we had main courses and drinks for about $44.00 US dollars total. The food was excellent and I thought the prices reasonable.

Get answers to your questions about Valladolid