We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from airport to Xcalak

burgie
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
getting from airport to Xcalak

How easy is it to get from the airport in Cancun? I don't want to rent a car unless I have to.

What about buying groceries.

I am looking for a quiet and picturesque spot for a few days in late Nov or early Dec. I don't want to spend a lot of money but wanta clean and safe place.

Advice appreciated.

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Southern California
Level Contributor
14,739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: getting from airport to Xcalak

It is a long drive and rental car is highly recommended as most hotels are anywhere from 1.5 to 9+ km from town where the bus gets into.

Check out bill-in-tulsa.com website, per his map it is 411km from Cancun to Xcalak, long way to travel, we visited there at least four times from Akumal, stopping for lunch and gas (fill up in Felipe Carrillo Puerto as the Ppemex in Majahual is sometimes out of gas) it took us about 4 hours, longer before they paved the road. I have rented from Bill and he is very reliable.

Or you can PM evening, she went to Xcalak from Tulum last year via public transport.

Groceries, Soriana in PDC or San Francisco in Tulum.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,545 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting from airport to Xcalak

I looked at my favorite site for driving time and mileage and , since it does not list Cancun airport, I used the closest town, Puerto Morelos to Xcalak. They show that as about 372 km and 4 1/2 hours driving time.

…sct.gob.mx/sibuac_internet/ControllerUI…

Edited: 06 July 2010, 00:49
Mentioned in this post
Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos
Riviera Maya, Mexico
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,328 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting from airport to Xcalak

I did it by bus from Tulum when the rental car I really didnt want to drive tripled in price with the insurance added, making a cab from Limones a bargain!

From the airport you can take the bus to Cancun centro bus station and catch (I think) 1 of 2 buses a day that go to Xcalak. Or you can take the airport ADO Riviera bus to Playa del Carmen and pick up a bus there that is going to Chetumal - make sure it stops in Limones (some of the 1st class ADO buses dont). You get off the bus in Limones and take a cab to Xcalak. I think it was about 400 pesos last year, but could have been 500 for the cab. There is a small building that is a sort of restaurant/snack bar that sells ADO tickets, and can call a cab for you if there arent any waiting. Its about 3 hours from Playa to Limones.

The benefit to taking the cab from Limones over the bus from Cancun is that once you get to Xcalak on the bus, there isnt a way to get to your hotel. The cab from Limones will drop you off at the hotel.

It would be great to have a car in Xcalak, but you can live without one. We walked into town a lot from Costa des Cocos, which is about 2km north of town. I just carried a flashlight at night so cars didnt run me down!

Dont miss Loncheria Silvia! I dont love fish (other than shellfish), but would make the trip back to Xcalak just to eat her fried fish!

Edited: 13 July 2010, 16:23
Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Ado
Ado
595 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Chetumal
Chetumal
Quintana Roo, Mexico
burgie
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting from airport to Xcalak

Thanks, good advice. And I will make sure to get some fried fish!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,328 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting from airport to Xcalak

have a great trip!

Toronto
Level Contributor
556 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting from airport to Xcalak

Personally I wouldn't want to be without a car. We left the car rental at 1:30 and arrived in Majahual at 7:30. We stopped in Tulum for food and groceries, about 1hr in San Francisco and 25mins eating at Pollo Bronco. Not sure how much extra time to add for Xcalak but 7km of the 8.5km south of the lighthouse we drove took about 20-25mins (the beach road was really bad).

Make sure to stop at whatever fruit stand you'll pass on your way down. For us we got AMAZING red mangoes (june19), that were gone 12days later when we drove to Cancun, so sad.... The fruit changes with the seasons, where we were staying the owner mentioned the oranges, but he obviously didn't visit his house in late June, not an orange (nor much else) in Limones.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Pollo Bronco
Pollo Bronco
368 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Minnesota
Level Contributor
299 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting from airport to Xcalak

We spent two weeks in Xcalak this past February, and were torn between driving and taking the bus. It was not our first trip there, and we had rented a car the previous trip. I found that there are two (ADO 1st Class) buses from Cancun to Mahahaul daily. One leaves around 11 PM, the other in the middle of the day. From Mahahual, it is a one hour cab ride to Xcalak. There is a 2nd or 3rd class bus that goes to Xcalak, but it was very complex and time consuming to try and do that.

In the end we rented the car for four reasons. Because of the arrival time for the flight, we would have had to sit in the bus station for nine to ten hours before the bus left. The arrival time (in Mahahual) was very early (6 AM) and I was concerned about cabs & shops being open when we got there. The place we were staying was 8 miles north of Xcalak and we had to purchase & transport kitchen supplies. Lastly, a car gave us much more freedom and opportunities to explore.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
595 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mahahual
Mahahual
Costa Maya, Mexico
burgie
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting from airport to Xcalak

Thanks for the advice and it makes sense. I think we are going to rent a car.

What company did you use and was it at the airport?

Can I ask what house you rented and if you would recommend the house and the area?

Thanks again.

Linda

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: getting from airport to Xcalak

If you rent a car, I would recommend that you shop for your groceries in Playa del Carmen. South of town, but still in town is the shopping mall...Maya something. lol...I have to go there to pay for my internet and can't remember the name. Sad! lol Anyway, you turn right off the highway to get to the Soriana supermarket in that mall. There is a City Club at the near end of the mall to help you spot it. There is a traffic light at the corner to help you turn in and get out and back on the highway. Easiest in and out of all of the supermarkets in Playa if you are heading south on the highway.

I shop all of the time at San Francisco de Assis in Tulum because I live west of Tulum. But as nice as that supermarket is, there are more American type foods at the Playa del Carmen supermarkets. I love to go to Playa to shop.

I would spring for a car so that you can explore. it's easy driving from the airport. Straight south until you see the turn-off for Majahual. The turn-off to Xcalak is down that road. Piece of cake!

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: getting from airport to Xcalak

I forgot to say...I've stayed at Costa de Cocos and Nuestro Tesoro and would recommend either.

Mentioned in this post
Costa de Cocos
Costa de Cocos
133 Reviews
Xcalak, Mexico