We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xcalak Beach

Which Xcalak hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new hampshire
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Xcalak Beach

Is the beach at Xcalak good for walking, or are there barriers like rock outcrops or walls that get in the way?

What's the surf like? Mellow, rough, or somewhere in between?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
299 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xcalak Beach

Hello Barnito,

I've been to Xcalak five times, and there are no wide pink sand beaches (like in Playa del Carmen / Tulum / Cancun). Additionally, most of the area's small resorts and homes are very close to the water & the un-inhabited areas are not maintained - so they will have seaweed & trash that washed up. There is very little surf in most locations, the reef is too high for it to make it to shore.

(I realize that I'm painting a poor picture - but, I want to be honest).

When we are staying near Xcalak, I walk daily along the beaches, but there are segments where I slip on a pair of crocs or sandals.

Most properties with resorts / homes do clean their beaches.

Xcalak is far more remote and undeveloped - which is a big part of the draw. I know of at least one nice sandy beach between Mahahual and Xcalak, but you would have to drive to get to it.

Additionally - most of the properties (in Xcalak) have sea grass near shore. Depending on the resort / residence, there are docks or paths through the grass to the open water & snorkeling areas.

If I have made it sound like all of this is a problem - let me also tell you that it is my favorite part of the Yucatan & my wife and I go there regularly!

Happy Travels! - Phil

2. Re: Xcalak Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 00:15
Get answers to your questions about Xcalak
Recent Conversations