We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

copacabana resort

Which Xpu-Ha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Atkinson, WI
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
copacabana resort

Has anyone read the latest review on this property? We're destined to be there in 2 weeks, and I'd really like to get an unbiased opinion on it. One person says it's great, the next says "no way". What I can gather is that there was extensive damage from the hurricaine, and the rebuilding is on going. What I don't want to experience is lots of noise and inconvience. As far as the jungle atmosphere and long walks, that's no problem. It is too bad that they reopened prematurely, as when I pay for a 5 star resort, I expect a 5 star experience.

Bottom line for us is that if the resort is not peaceful, clean, and ready for visitors, then we will not leave the lobby until we are given an opportunity to go to another resort in the area that is up and running. That's not asking for much, it's what we always expect when traveling.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: copacabana resort

I understand you're feelings, but you just might be "waiting in the lobby". The copa will not look for another resort for you, they are not that accomodating. I was at the copa this past spring and although the resort was in fine shape, we still ran into some attitude with a few of the staff. That was a small % of the staff I might mention and it wasnt enough to cause me not to return. If you have major concerns now, you might want to make the changes prior to your arrival. I was considering it because of all the negative but Im waiting until wicked psyched gets back from his visit to the Copa. He will give an unbiased and honest review of the resort and Ill go on his post. It doesnt look like you have enough time to wait for his post though. Good luck, if you decide to make changes.

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: copacabana resort

The problem lies in that it's really rather subjective.

We weren't bothered by the construction work at all and were only aware of any noise on a couple of occasions for a short period of time. The entertainment team - who are brilliant - were far more noisey.

On the basis that a picture tells a thousand words, I've uploaded some photos for anyone interested. I've kept them quite large so that detail isn't lost so the page will take some time to load depending on your connection. You can find them at

http://fionafenton.com/copa/

Salt Lake City
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: copacabana resort

If you are going to go with an attitude that nothing short of perfect is acceptable - then go someplace else. There was a devastating hurricane and the resort is recovering; rather quickly from what I've read.

I've read a lot of the posts and reviews since the hurricane and my impression is that those who go to enjoy their vacation with a good attitude love it and those who are looking for something to complain about don't.

Croydon, UK
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: copacabana resort

Great pics 3103ff. Thanks for taking them and putting them on the web so we can see for ourselves what's going on. So many people have been confused by the conflicting reviews on here and I'm sure you've put a lot of people's minds at rest with your positive info.

San Diego
Level Contributor
85 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: copacabana resort

Sounds like you are destined to have a bad trip, as you know that construciton is going on due to the hurricane, but you don't want to experience any inconvience. Sorry, but that's just not realistic.

I too am going to be in the Riviera Maya in 2 weeks, but changed from El Dorado Seaside Suites (which suffered extensive damage, but is repoened now) staying to the Azul, a resort that didn't suffer any ill effects from the hurricane, because, like you, I didn't feel like dealing with reconstruction on my holiday. But, if you go with the attitude that everything better be perfect or else, I think you are going to be very dissapointed. I would suggest chaning resorts (although the Copa is a great resort, I was there right after it opened and loved it - sad to see the most recent pictures, as the jungle really took a beating) Good luck!

mpls, mn
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: copacabana resort

3103ff,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post these wonderful pics. Spring green in late August. Things seem to have improved a lot. Since they now do some sort of mosquito control, can't see why most people couldn't have a terrific holiday at the Copa. A great attitude like yours makes for a great vacation. Thanks for posting.

Texas
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: copacabana resort

3103ff,

Thanks for posting those pictures. We had a great time when we went at the end of July and your pictures took me back to paradise. I can't wait to go back!! They've done so much in just a few weeks.

I agree with some of the others....if you are expecting perfection (right after a hurricane) then don't go.

San Francisco Bay...
Destination Expert
for Xpu-Ha
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: copacabana resort

3103ff

I want to thank you for sending the photo's also It is good to see the kids club went up so fast. Wow they are working like little bees. I know that I talked to Sanda and she said that it was going up soon Glad you had a good time. We will be there this Sept can't wait to see every one. Thank you again

Carolyn

Fort Atkinson, WI
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: copacabana resort

Dear 3103ff, your pics were terrific. Thank you so much for taking the time to post them. Guess I'm feeling a bit better about the resort now. We'll know first hand in less than 2 weeks.

To the few who commented that I'm expecting too much, I agree. When I spend hard earned $$ on whatever I purchase, then I expect quality. We've traveled extensively out of the USA, and have no problem staying at resorts that are not rated 5 STAR Apple resorts. In Jamaica we always stay at a lower end resort and therefore do not have big expectations as to the food quality, rooms, etc. My point is that Copa is supposed to be a high end resort, as the price would indicate. Hurricaine or not, if it is NOT up to speed and ready for clients, then it should not be open. It sounds as if they are working frantically to get it back in shape, and hopefully things will be in working order, ie AC, ect. For those of you who wish to settle for less, go for it!!

San Diego
Level Contributor
85 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: copacabana resort

Falmouthfaun - I think you are going to be very dissapointed - while the Copa is a nice resort, I would never describe it as "high end", and I think its price reflects this. Right now, you can book a week there for 2 adults for $1,036 (on locogringo - look under specials) That is hardly what is considered "high end". And normally the price runs about that for a week (I paid less when I was there for a week, but that was several years ago) It is a nice moderate hotel, very nice, and everything I need on a vacation - nice beach, beautiful grounds (or it was before the hurricane), nice clean rooms, decent (not great, just decent) food. But, if you go there expecting a high end, 5 star hotel, I am afraid you are going to be very dissapointed.

I think of a hotel along the lines of the Ritz, the Four Seasons, and Le Meredian, the Roayl Hideaway, etc. when I think 5 star - the Copa is definitely not in the same class as these hotels, nor should it be, as its prices are less than half of what a true 5 star charges. I always remember the mantra - you get what you pay for (generally). If I'm not willing to pay at least $300/night, I don't expect a 5 star hotel.

Anyways, I hope you are not too disappointed, if you lower your expectations a bit, you should have a great time.