We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling?

Which Xpu-Ha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling?

Does the resort have snorkeling trips with a boat that takes you out or you can just use there gear for an hour? How is the snorkeling there? Any place you recommend off the resort? What's the price & can we rent the gear there. Also if you know any great places to get yummy taco's. Did the resort have them for lunch & how were they?

Thanks,

Dawn

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling?

Dawn~

There are tons of possibilites for snorkeling. It is my understanding that you are allowed to use the resorts snorkel equipment for 1 hour each day. I haven't heard that the snorkeling is that great, but for free, it might be worth it. I'm sure any tour desk in the lobby can set you up with a snorkeling tour. This yearr we opted to go for a day with Edventuretours. But you can also take a collectivo to Akumal, rent equipment from the lil dive shop there and go out on your own to see the turtles. I think it is $5 for each piece of equipment, so $15 for fins, vest, and tube/mask. Or you can take a collectivo to Yal-Ku lagoon, pay the admission price ($9 USD per person, I think) and rent equipment (same price as above).

As for yummy tacos. I was just told about a few places in PDC. El Fogon, Dr. Taco and another, I can't remember. Go to the PDC forum, click on "restaurants" on the left side and there are TA reviews for each place.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling?

Thanks Rooster girl! I'm dying for a taco.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling?

I'm always dying for a taco, with spicy pico de gallo, and tons of fresh made gaucamole. Ahhhh, I can't wait....9 more days. Yipee. Still trying to find my new bubba keg.

Tomball, TX
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling?

ProDive is onsite. We took a fabulous snorkeling trip today with them. They had a special 2 for 1 deal of $40 for 1.5 hours. Boat picked us up from resort. We saw fish, nurse shark, about 6 turtles, stingrays, etc. I would recommend it.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
326 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling?

We're taking our own snorkeling gear and are going to try to snorkel right there at the resort as well as taking a trip to Akumal Bay to see those famous sea turtles.

Texas
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkeling?

Snorkeling at Akumal Bay (in front of Lol-Ha) and at Yal-Ku lagoon (also in the Akumal Bay area) is great! You will see all types of fish and the turtles. We always carry our own snorkel and masks and rent the flippers and life vest. You can get a decent snorkel and mask cheap at places like Academy, or maybe even Wal-Mart.

I have had the tacos at Lol-Ha and at La Buena Vida, and I liked them both places. The guac is to die for!!

Have a wonderful trip.

Melynda

Oregon
Level Contributor
262 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkeling?

Dawn,

Mike and I got our snorkel gear from a dive shop (my hubby wants to be an total snorkel guy, lol) but at Costco they have an amazing set for like 40 bucks. If you want to snorkel even more then once it is a better deal to buy your own and take it. If you have to rent twice at $25 a shot you might has well buy an nice set to have. Plus I have read that the snorkeling right off the resort is good so it might be nice to have your own gear so you can go whenever.

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkeling?

i just got a set at sam's club for $40. it looks ok, i guess we'll see.

9. Re: snorkeling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2009, 06:42