We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maeva Shark/Pier

Bedminster, PA
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Maeva Shark/Pier

My family of 5 is scheduled for our third visit to Club Maeva Tulum in November (19 - 29) '05, which brings me to two queries:

(1) We love the pier - word has it that it will be (re)done by the time I'm there, but if you have any specific information on it, I'd appreciate an update. All the posted pics do NOT show that area of the beach.

(2) Last year (second visit) I spotted and followed a shark for a while (about 20' above and a little behind). It was out by the small outcropping of coral that protrudes through the surface a few hundred yards off the beach.

-- Has anyone else seen it? When I went back to the dive shop they weren't surprised and we tried to find it in a book; a "lemon shark" was the only thing I would come-up with (3 dorsal fins - one large and two smaller). This wasn't a nurse shark (I've seen many of those before - but none @ Maeva), it was approximately 10' long. Again, am I the only one who's seen it? CTE

Bahia Divers
Scuba & Snorkeling
La Playa Xpuha
Beach & Pool Clubs, Beaches
Under the Jungle
Scuba & Snorkeling
Xotik-Ha Ecopark
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maeva Shark/Pier

I cant comment on the shark but the pier is over 1/2 complete. I was at the copacabana which (as you know) is down the beach from the Maeva and we walked down to check out the pier. They were feverishly working on it and it looked about 1//2 to 3/4 complete. Hope this helps.

Bedminster, PA
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maeva Shark/Pier

Excellent - it means they are doing what they promised (which is a big deal to me). Thank you kindly

Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
53 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maeva Shark/Pier

My Husband and I are going to Maeva on Oct 22, we plan to do a lot of snorkelling, so we will let you know if we spot this shark.

How exciting! Is it unusual to see sharks in this area? What else can we expect?

thanks.

Bedminster, PA
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maeva Shark/Pier

I think it's unusual to see sharks in the area, but what do I know. At the same visit, a "beach guard" (mexican retiree) kept coming out to the dock to waive me in from the "sea side" of the dock where all the turtles are/were. He drove me nuts with all his frantic waiving and shark motions -- which took me two days to figure out. By his action, I'm guessing they know there are sharks out there, but on two visits and lots of time in the water, I only saw this big guy once!

What to expect? Maeva has a nice, sandy beach with a basin/bowl between it and the reef, which pokes out of the water about 15 yards out. In the sandy area -- the basin -- you can find sting/manta (whatever) rays all the time, but not many fish. If you swim to the reef outcropping and go right along the reef you'll end-up on the back side of the dock where all the turtlesl are. If you get to the outcropping and go left you can snorkel all day and see great stuff, fish I've never seen in Maui or Papua New Guinea. I can't imagine that there's a better place to snorkel along that stretch of coast-line, but I've never tried.

My shark didn't seem hungry, but I'm slightly more skeptical about taking the kids out there due to their size -- just bought new snorkel gear for all of them, so be sure to report back after your visit (which is just before we go) and let us know what to expect and any good tips you might have. CTE

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Papua New Guinea
Papua New Guinea
South Pacific
Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
53 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maeva Shark/Pier

Ill let you know all about it, mostly the dock when I get back (nov. 4th) Cant wait to do some snorkelling!!!!!

Bedminster, PA
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Maeva Shark/Pier

hurricaneblues,

How was Maeva (CMT)? Was the pier finished? If it wasn't, was it possible to jump off of whatever is there? How's the beach look -- food still good? Two weeks till we go ... CTE

Grande Prairie...
Level Contributor
53 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maeva Shark/Pier

Hi Leanright,

Unfortunately, we had to cancel our trip because of Wilma. She landed the day we were going to! We went to the Dominican Republic instead.

I only wish I could give you details, maybe next year!

Good luck with your trip! Ill be looking forward to your review!

Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Xpu-Ha
Recent Conversations