We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'musty'smell in rooms

Which Xpu-Ha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maastricht
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
'musty'smell in rooms

Hi can some of the recent visitors tell me if they thought that the rooms (or some of them) had a strong damp/ musty smell.

Ofcourse I realise that the climate has a lot to do with this but I am very sensitive to this having bronchitis. Never had a problem in de past in hotels in Mexico so hope that some of the reviews are a bit exaggerated.

However any tips of rooms to ask for which are less damp/ 'musty' would be hightly appreciated. Does it make a difference if it is one of the renovated rooms? top floor rooms?

Sioux Falls, SD
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'musty'smell in rooms

Hi

Ours was fine, no smell, but then, after 3 days of rain everything smell musty, our room the jungle and all. I believe that it has to do with the rain and the jungle. Also quite a few rooms had ant attacks, very tiny small ants. The did not seem to hurt anything.

Chilliwack, B.C.
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'musty'smell in rooms

I always take room fresher or incense with me to Mexico the DR and Cuba. Seems to help a bit, there is a musty smell , not sure as above poster says we are in the jungle and it has been pouring rain.......:O(

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,624 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'musty'smell in rooms

Some of the better resort provide incense or scented candles.

I have never been able to understand what is meant by musty. I love the damp smell - like of when you can smell a fountain in the mall but I hate the sour milk smell of mold/mildew. What do people mean when they say musty?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'musty'smell in rooms

I never understood what is meant by "musty". To me that smell means I'm down south. I love it. The other time I smell the same scent is when I'm up in northern Ontario. It's the smell of the earth. It is specially powerful when it is damp and humid. It can permeate the walls, furniture and any other porous material. The closer to the source you are the more pronounced it will be. If it is that bothersome then never stay in a ground floor room. The higher up off the ground you are, the smell should lessen.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
145 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 'musty'smell in rooms

My suggestion will be to ask for a 3rd floor room on a sunny side in buildings 1,3 or 5. Third floor rooms in those buildings have more sun during the day.

Maastricht
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 'musty'smell in rooms

thanks for all the tips, we will try and get a top floor room

Ontario
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 'musty'smell in rooms

We're at CRT now and it just smells wet. Lol like jungle, earthy wet. Bf thinks the room smell is bleachy or chlorine like, but definite a smell. It's not offensive but don't know how it would effect bronchitis. We are in building 2, 2nd floor. Happy about being above ground floor, no critters allowed in my room on vacation! Lol

Indiana
Level Contributor
469 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 'musty'smell in rooms

No bad smell in ours. Top floor, building 5. Also, did not smell like smoke even though it was a smoking room.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 'musty'smell in rooms

We were in building 5 on second floor & had no musty smells.

Debbi

toronto, ontario
Level Contributor
609 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 'musty'smell in rooms

Last week we were in bldg 4, ground floor. (4007....GREAT location!)

A bit of the 'normal' musty smell...packed mini Febreeze room freshner and no problemo.

Clothes from vacation have been washed twice already though. Can't seem to lose the smell (kind of don't want to..) not sure if it's worse this time because we had SO much rain while we were there. ?????