We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal or Xel-ha which one??

Which Xpu-Ha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Napoleon, Michigan
4 posts
Save Topic
Akumal or Xel-ha which one??

We are looking at spending a day at either Akumal or Xel-ha.

Which one offers more?

Which one is better for snorkeling?

Any feedback would be great

MI
Level Contributor
218 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akumal or Xel-ha which one??

Can't really compare...........

Akumal, a small town, beach, with bars and restaurants. Great snorkling etc.

It is a do it yourself thing..............

Xel-ha, an amusement park with an all inclusive package. It's like Disneyland for snorklers / swimmers.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
545 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Akumal or Xel-ha which one??

I haven't done Xel-ha, but I've done Akumal. It was fun, but I won't lie...little disappointed in the snorkeling. The lagoon was cool, but snorkeling off the beach at the CRT was just as nice as in Akumal Bay.

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
986 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akumal or Xel-ha which one??

I agree with Liniloo about the snorkeling in Akumal Bay - it was nice, we saw some turtles, but certainly nothing to write home about.

We did a tour with Edventure - and I would reccommend you look into that because you can plan your day according to what you want to do.

We saw the Tulum ruins, snorkeled in an outdoor cenote, zip-lined, snorked in a caved cenote (super cool!!), had a fab lunch at a great place on the beach in Akumal (amazing fish tacos and mohitos!!) then we snorkeled in Akumal bay...

It really was a great day and perhaps exactly what you are looking for.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
545 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Akumal or Xel-ha which one??

Nelly did you book that on site at the CRT or beforehand?

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
986 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Akumal or Xel-ha which one??

I e-mailed Edventure tours beforehand and set it all up a few weeks before we left.

It was all done via e-mail and the morning of - they were a bit late in picking us up at the hotel and we started getting worried (tho we hadnt paid or prodived any cc info) but sure enough they showed uo and we had the most fantastic time!

I couldnt reccommend them more highly...The guides (2) were more like cool guys that we were hanging out with.

(In fact subsequently one of them left the company and came to NY and actually stayed with my hubby for a few weeks before moving back to his homeland Swizerland- Long story!)

But anyway yes - I would recommend setting it up first!

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
986 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Akumal or Xel-ha which one??

You can read reviews and see their web-site info here:http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150812-d1383184-Reviews-Edventure_Tours-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
219 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Akumal or Xel-ha which one??

Xel-Ha is worth every penny. We went in 2004 and loved it. Snorkeled all day, tubed down the river into the lagoon etc... etc.. Can't be compared to Akumal at all.

Chilliwack, B.C.
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Akumal or Xel-ha which one??

We made two trips to Akumal while at the CRT 10 days back, I don't know how one can say that the snorkeling at CRT even compares to AKumal, we saw so many turtles, barracudas, huge grouper, parrot fish , I don't think anyone who snorkes should miss a trip to Akumal, all you need to do is catch the collectivo and have spent a whopping 4 bucks and you just need to find a palm tree and park, for the day. Walk up have lunch in one of the local resturants. Great day.

Just my opinion,

Cheers

Marjorie

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Akumal or Xel-ha which one??

Akumal Bay is too salty. No one goes there any more. ;)

Napoleon, Michigan
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Akumal or Xel-ha which one??

Thanks for all the feedback. We jumped on line last night and checked out the different packages Xel-ha has and compared the prices. We also read some of the reviews on tripadvisor, everyone seems to love it and really had no negative comments. We will be at CRT a week from today, we are celebrating out 15 year wedding anniversary.

Cant wait……