We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May at the Catalonia Royal.....

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
May at the Catalonia Royal.....

Anybody been to the CRT in May? How is the towel game/occupancy rate during the second week in May?

I've never been to MX in May, but heard the heat and humidity this timeframe is pretty nice. How are the wind and waves at this resort? Will I be able to swim without the waves knocking me over?

Thanks!

Sunny Florida
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May at the Catalonia Royal.....

Yes, we were at CRT for 2 weeks in early May. Occupancy was at 100%. A shipment of new chairs arrived and there was never an issue of finding a beach chair or some form of shade. Chairs around the pool were usually all "occupied" by 9:00 each morning. Quite a few chair pigs were there, and quite blatant about holding chairs at both the pool and beach. We laughed at several who just couldn't figure out which chairs were the best to "reserve" ... and then never came back to use them until around lunch time. We only saw one "fight" over chairs and that was funny. A French speaking lady got into a loud argument with a Spanish speaking man and neither one of them understood what was being said. BTW, the French lady lost the "battle". All we could figure out was the lady had tied a small ribbon on one of the pool chair backs to "reserve" it and then came back several hours later to find someone else sitting in the chair. The beach palapas were all occupied by about 7:30 each morning. Towels were a bit of a problem some mornings, but never a real issue. The beach and pool areas were crowded, but not uncomfortably so.

Temperatures were OK and we enjoyed the weather. The wind/waves varied widely --- it's the tropics and that's just the way it is. Waves some days were high enough that people were body surfing. Other days, the sea was fairly calm and nobody was struggling to stand up.

We have talked about a return trip next May, and probably will try for the last week of May and into the first week of June. It appears that the occupancy drops off quite a bit then. The staff handled the 100% occupancy situation very well, but we prefer a bit less crowded atmosphere.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May at the Catalonia Royal.....

There are tons of new chairs added to the beach up to the point that it is completely overtaken by the chairs in some areas, side by side they go - I would prefer if they removed some excess chairs during the low-medium season and stored them somewhere. So to find a chair is not at all the issue, but to find the reliable shade - a vacant palapa- is the issue even at the 50-60% occupancy rate, the beach area is small and they really have to space to add more palapas, may be one or two but it will not solve the problem. I would go in the mid-end May instead of the beginning of May in hope that the occupancy rate will drop. This year lots of vacations that were canceled in April when the volcano erupted were moved to May so this may be the reason for the 100% occupancy rate in the beginning of May, but it looks like resort is often very full. I've been to Riviera Maya in May and it is one of the best seasons to visit the area, the water is warmer then in the winter and it is usually very dry.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May at the Catalonia Royal.....

Thank you so much for your help. Unfortunately, I can not change the dates. May 7-14th are the only days my husband has off of school. I think I can handle not having as much shade as I would like-I will just buy one of those clip on umbrellas. As long as I can get a chair I should be happy.

I welcome any more comments, though. =)

4. Re: May at the Catalonia Royal.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 06:37
Get answers to your questions about Xpu-Ha
Recent Conversations