We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

catalonia royal tulum ? Should i go or not ???

Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
catalonia royal tulum ? Should i go or not ???

hi everyone , i want to go at the catalonia royal tulum adult only resort, but after reading a lot of rviews , is that a good choice ???

first of all everyone talks about the italian, who are rude no polite etcc.... true or not, food is mediocre ??? true or false, no place at poll and beach ??? and finally room are really basic

considering that i went to the excellence playa mujeres and secrets silversands does the catalonia is a place for me or not

i wand to relax , good food and friendly people whereever you from

thanks for you help

La Playa Xpuha
Beaches, Beach & Pool Clubs
Bahia Divers
Scuba & Snorkeling
Under the Jungle
Scuba & Snorkeling
Xotik-Ha Ecopark
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: catalonia royal tulum ? Should i go or not ???

The CRT worked for me in January, so much so that I am traveling there again in May, solo but hoping to meet up with some regulars, including a lady that has been there mote than 25 times. The resort hit most of the chech boxes for me, small, jungle setting, wonderful flora and fauna, beautiful beaches, great food (authentic Mexican, tasteful presentation, etc.)

I am not a food glutton, so potions more than adequate. I never ate at the buffet, so never had issues with Italians. They also have room service, but did not try that. Rooms clean, not palacial, but I did not go there for opulence.

You may want to try to get hold of Carolyn's "tip sheet" for more comprehensive info.

Adios

Sunny Florida
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: catalonia royal tulum ? Should i go or not ???

sebas2,

First, as skycat1982 suggested, I also recommend you get the tip sheet from Carolyn. It is full of good and useful information.

Nobody, other than you, can decide if any resort will meet your needs. The reviews you read on Trip Advisor, and other forums, are just opinions and reports of their experiences versus their expectations. There are many reviews which would answer your questions about food, other guests, room conditions, etc and say that all of those factors were good-to-excellent.

My suggestion is to read as many reviews as you can find, on several different travel forums, and decide which ones you want to believe. Some travel sites allow users to challenge, dispute, concur, add to, the posted reviews. To me, that tends to make the reviews more honest, easier to understand, and more credible. Trip Advisor reviews do not have that sort of 'peer review' feature.

Your closing sentence saying that you want to relax, have good food, and friendly people is easy for me to answer. But, it's my opinion based on my experiences and expectations. We have been to CRT 9 or 10 times, and have another visit coming up in May. I'm not that easy to please, and we find CRT meets / exceeds our expectations. So, we keep going back.

Good luck with your research and decision.

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
811 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: catalonia royal tulum ? Should i go or not ???

We have also stayed at SSS but not EPM , but I would say as far as having a ggod time CRT is just as good a place as either of them to do exactly that. Having a good time is totally up to you it's your vacation . You have to see the beach at CRT just that is worth the trip. The rooms are pretty basic but other than sleep what else do you want from a room . You won't find any rude Italians in your room , I didn't find any anywhere at CRT and yes I heard there were many. Don't worry get the tip sheet if you are lucky you will meet Carolyn and Bob , we did there good people looking to enjoy themselves on vacation like you should do. Don't worry just go check it out!!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: catalonia royal tulum ? Should i go or not ???

We went to CRT hoping that it would become one of our favorites. It wasn't. I found the room to be pretty decent. It was large and the bed was comfortable. The pool and the beach were lovely to look at and I really did like the hot tubs overlooking the beach. I thought the beach was overcrowded with loungers which I didn't care for.

The big disappointment for us was the food. There are 5 restaurants and one or two will be shut down each day so you tend to be limited in where you can eat. The food was just so-so IMO and other than the tapas restaurant I didn't really find the restaurants to be charming.

I"ve seen where they have raised the price of the CRT and for the money they are charging now, I probably wouldn't go back.

We've also been to SSS which is a step up from the CRT.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: catalonia royal tulum ? Should i go or not ???

We didn't care for CRT because didn't like that all rooms were in the jungle. Also there are no swim up bars. However the beach there is beautiful.

Sunny Florida
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: catalonia royal tulum ? Should i go or not ???

Just to clarify ... they do close ONE restaurant each evening on a rotating basis, but that occurs in "low season", and then only when occupancy is down. Or, if weather is bad, i.e. heavy rain, the Tapas restaurant may be closed since it is quite open to the elements.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: catalonia royal tulum ? Should i go or not ???

Sebas2,

It comes down to what "you like" and looking at the resorts amenities on line. Looking on line you can see if it has a swim up bar. ( if you feel the need to have that) personally I don't like swim up bars. You see folks sitting there for 3 or 4 hrs. drinking, can't help but think they be peeing as they sit as well. lol (no thanks ) I get my own drinks or the great staff bring my drink, takes all of 1 minute.

As far as the rooms & food, it's all good. The resort is just the right size, 5 min. in each direction and your from one end to the other. ( beautiful walk to boot ) You don't have to make reservations for the restaurants just walk right up. ( we like that about CRT ).

As far as other guest go, well you can have bad or good from any country at any resort, however for the most part, Catalonia Royal Tulum guest are great! To note, you will not have a better beach in all of the Mayan Riviera IMO (we have been to many ) and we always find a nice spot on CRT's to relax.

So in closing, we have been to Catalonia Royal Tulum 4x times in the last 3 years and we will be going back. You put the location, staff, beach, pool, food,drinks, 18+, and the price... Best bang for your buck!

Cheers & enjoy!

Sunshine_and_Beer

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
649 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: catalonia royal tulum ? Should i go or not ???

Sebas.... Do your research on the resorts that you want to go to. When you find a resort that you think you might like you need to ask specific questions about that resort. TA has trip reports almost on a weekly basis that say I didn't like XYZ resort because... there were to many children.... Booze was not good.... Had to make reservations to eat..... We were limited to how many al la carte restaurants we could eat at and on and on and on.

It's your money and your holiday make the most of it after doing the proper research.

Polloman

Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: catalonia royal tulum ? Should i go or not ???

thanks everyone for your comments , i appreciate.

sebastien

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: catalonia royal tulum ? Should i go or not ???

Have you considered Secrets Capri or VIM?

Get answers to your questions about Xpu-Ha
Recent Conversations