We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing..!!! AHhHh!!!

Which Xpu-Ha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Morgantown, West...
Level Contributor
141 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Packing..!!! AHhHh!!!

HELP! It's NOT my first Rodeo...We have been traveling to Mexico since the 90's...yet every year I stress when it comes to PACKING!! and invariably...I OVER PACK! I don't know WHY I can't get this down to a science. LOL Well...I'll be unpacking tomorrow night in order to "RE-pack"...and HOPEFULLY....I can reduce some volume. ...... Vaca Time is upon us Soon Grasshopper! :-)

Sunny Florida
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing..!!! AHhHh!!!

Your "malady" is a common one. Pack, then re-pack taking out 1/2 of what you packed because the bags are overweight. Then, a day before departure, suddenly there is "stuff" piled on top of the bags that you "just have to take along". I wonder if it's not a sign of a serious OCD emerging ? LOL I've tried to apply the rule that "if we really need it, there are places nearby the resort to get it". That doesn't seem to work. :-)

Port Charlotte...
Level Contributor
161 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing..!!! AHhHh!!!

But packing is sooo much fun! I've done this (what feels like) hundreds of times. When you get to paradise you tend to live most of the day in your bathing suit. So, make sure you have your suit packed, and a back up suit, and if you're a fashionista have a suit for every day. Then, if you think you might take an excursion off the resort, or hang out one day in the lobby instead of the pool or beach - pack some shorts and a lite weight shirt. Don't forget cover ups for the bathing suit! Now dinner - this is why everyone LOOOOVES the CRT because it's a casual dress code. Something simple, clean and tasteful. Voila, you're done. (except for the toiletries, and sunblock, etc...)

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,262 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing..!!! AHhHh!!!

What I started doing after our second trip was to make a packing list just after our return (because I couldn't' remember amounts of stuff I needed to take from visit to visit). I have 5 different ones for the different length of stays that we have taken. I update that list after each visit to know exactly how much sunblock, lotion, etc. to take. I also have the clothes that I take detailed on there, and I update that list when I purchase anything new for our Mexico trips. So, when time to pack for next week's trip, I print out the list and only take those items....Easy peasy and can be all packed in less than 30 minutes!

FWIW, I can get all of my clothes and shoes (1 pair beach flip flops and 1 pair of dressier sandals) in a rolling carry on (not expanded). I use my beach bag as my purse when traveling and DH brings a backpack (that he throws a pair of trunks and t-shirt in as well as our 7 books we bring for 9 nights). We then have 1 checked bag which has everything else in it (we can also do a 9 night trip carry on only but this time we are bringing back Xtabentun and figured we would just check one going down as well).

Morgantown, West...
Level Contributor
141 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing..!!! AHhHh!!!

AnotherBob...You are RIGHT!! I already have a PILE of stuff laying on top of my ALREADY packed Suitcase! LOL...but I DID manage to lighten the load a bit already... Akandal....YOU...will have to be my role model...lol. I do the list thing too...but always manage to add to it! It's all good!! I just wish I didn't have to go to work the next two days! :-)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing..!!! AHhHh!!!

I leave the packing to the wife, whos super organised, everything is on a list and ticked as its packed. Only problem is her patience, our suitcase was packed 3 months ago and we dont fly til november lol. It will need re-packing before we go which again the mrs will write her list and tick everything off... i wouldn't be surprised if my name is down on the list of 'whos going'!!!

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
649 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing..!!! AHhHh!!!

Packed last night in about 4 hours. Three checked bags going down. I still have about 30 pounds of extra weight I could bring on the way down... Traveling light this time. :-(

Polloman

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,262 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing..!!! AHhHh!!!

Okay Polloman, I have to ask...with 3 checked bags, how many people and how long are you going?!?! :-)

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
649 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing..!!! AHhHh!!!

Two people for 12 days... It's All my fault. If you knew the stuff I bring you would say "Your Nuts". But we will only be bringing two bags back. I bring down a few different kinds of hats. Then the flag pole and chair covers, the fake feet and rubber snake. (I would like to see the persons face if they open that bag. It's on top and looks like it is crawling thru the clothes.) Then we have the kites and blow up rafts, snorkel gear, battery operated clock, power strip, snorkel vests, red and white light flashlights and extra batteries. And a few more things.

HEY this time I cut back. Last trip we went with three bags checked and all were 45/47 pounds each. I'm moving in the right direction. :-))))

DW wants one bag each, that might be a long shot but i'm working on it. :-(

Polloman

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,262 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Packing..!!! AHhHh!!!

Oh my PM, that is quite the listing of things you are taking! I certainly wouldn't call you nuts though...seems like you would have a great time with all of those 'toys'! :-)

Oh and baby steps..baby steps! LOL

Edited: 10 October 2013, 17:17
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Packing..!!! AHhHh!!!

Packing lists are key. If you have an outfit for every day and every night, you are bringing way too much stuff. I can go anywhere in the world for any length of time in an expandable rolling carryon, daypack and a folding tote bag for purchases.

No one is going to keep track of your outfits and unless you're Anna Wintour or some other fashion celebrity you can repeat an outfit without anyone noticing. Or mix and match.

suitcaseready.com