We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Early is Too Early For Flight Home

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
How Early is Too Early For Flight Home

I booked our trip to CRT through a company that used Spirit Air. In order to get to CUN from DFW we had to go through Ft. Lauderdale! The flight home was back through Ft. Lauderdale and would take us 8 hours. This is totally ridiculous, so I changed our flights to non-stop from DFW to CUN on American. The return flight home departs at 6:00 am. I booked our airport transfers to and from the hotel through the original company

My question is - do the airport transportation companies pickup passengers for these very early flights, or do I need to arrange for someone to be at CRT at 3:00 am? Anyone else have experience with very early flights?

Thanks!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Early is Too Early For Flight Home

Seems like people mention two hours ahead for that early.

Sunny Florida
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Early is Too Early For Flight Home

Here is what we do ...

The airlines want you at the airport 3 hours ahead of any international flight. It takes about 1 hour to get to the airport from CRT. Depending on the time of day, the airport can be packed out or empty. And, some of the airline counters may not open up very early. So, we adjust our pickup time accordingly leaving at least 2 hours before flight time as our arrival time at the airport for an early morning flight.

So, taking all of that into account, I'd check with both your airline and transfer company. And, we confirm our pickup time with our transfer company at least 24 hours ahead of time to make sure they have the right resort, the right time, and our reservation.

One other tip ... if we have an early morning pickup time, we have some room service breakfast delivered to the lobby about 1/2 hour before pickup time.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 20:20
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Early is Too Early For Flight Home

My post was meant be AT the airport two hours before departure.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,620 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Early is Too Early For Flight Home

From your location CRT- you'd have to have your transfer pick you up by 2:30am IMO. I'd NEVER take this flight. IMO- anything before NOON is too early.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Early is Too Early For Flight Home

Best advice (from many private transfer drivers who know better than us), at least 2 1/2 hours, plus travel time, before departure. As mentioned, these early morning flights may have a little less congestion at the airport, so at the least, I'd allow 2 hours before departure.

Did you alert the original transfer company to the change in departure time? If you have, then you should be all set. I'd ask for an email for confirmation just to be on the safe side.

And I agree with asmit4 , that is way to early to be ending your vacation!

"Sorry asmit4 , I think I just gave the same advice you did but worded it differently. "

Edited: 29 January 2014, 21:52
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,804 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Early is Too Early For Flight Home

Another thing to do is check with your airline as to what time the check-in desk opens up; there's not much point in getting to the airport more than about 30 minutes earlier than that.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Early is Too Early For Flight Home

Thanks for your input everyone. This return flight was the only non-stop offered as an alternative to flying around the world on Spirit. I'll check to see when the airline opens their counters. Perhaps we should not even go to bed our last night, but just stay up.

8. Re: How Early is Too Early For Flight Home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Xpu-Ha
Recent Conversations