We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers to CRT and Mexico......few questions for u ;-)

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
268 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
First timers to CRT and Mexico......few questions for u ;-)

My husband and myself are due to go to CRT in July to celebrate our 25th anniversary. Will we just need Mexican dollars to spend, tip etc? And also has anyone been to coco bongo and where are we best to book the VIP tickets? Any other advise people want to share will be greatly appreciated :-) thanks in advance

La Playa Xpuha
Beach & Pool Clubs, Beaches
Bahia Divers
Scuba & Snorkeling
Under the Jungle
Scuba & Snorkeling
Xotik-Ha Ecopark
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Irwin, Pennsylvania
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers to CRT and Mexico......few questions for u ;-)

Have been to crt 4 times in two years, so ill share my experences .Our friends went to the coco show in cancun ,paid for vip ,recieved seats in the back of show and got back to resort around 4am,so watch who you book through.As far as tips , we always gave us cash,never any complaints, a tip is a tip.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,450 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers to CRT and Mexico......few questions for u ;-)

The currency of Mexico is pesos, not dollars ... although they use the "$" sign, so that can be a bit confusing.

I can't tell from your profile where you're from and that does make a bit of a difference when it comes to currency. US dollar are widely accepted in the tourist areas but your money will go further if you use pesos. If you happen to have US Dollars lying around (e.g. if you're from the US) you may want to use them simply because it's more convenient for you. However, if you have to do a currency exchange anyway (e.g. you're from Canada or the UK), then you're better off to skip the US dollars altogether and go straight to pesos.

Last piece of advice - read this thread, it talks about the arrivals procedure at Cancun airport and tells you a few things to look out for - tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g3198845-i27741-k71…

Sunny Florida
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers to CRT and Mexico......few questions for u ;-)

A few comments ---

- If you are taking US $'s, be sure to get SMALL bills and inspect them for marks, tears, excess wear, and that sort of thing. If the bills are not in excellent condition, the Mexican banks will likely refuse them. We use a mix of pesos and US$'s for tips. The resort can NOT accept US$'s -- only pesos and credit cards. You can "room charge" items in the gift shop. There is a currency exchange window to the left of the front desk if you need it. And, an ATM on premises that dispenses pesos too --- ask the bellmen to show you where it is.

- Get a copy of Carolyn Gustafson's CRT "tip sheet". It is a wealth of info on the resort, things to take, things to do, etc. She's the long time expert on this resort. There is a thread here in the forum to use to request the tip sheet.

- The younger crowd seems to love Coco Bongo. It is expensive. The bus leaves CRT for Coco Bongo around 9:00 and returns somewhere between 3:00 and 4:00 am, I believe. There is often a Coco Bongo rep at the resort, in the vicinity of the pool area gift shop on many days. If not, then check with the concierge, Laura or Fernando, to see what the deals are.

Congrats on your 25th and I hope you have a great trip !

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
268 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers to CRT and Mexico......few questions for u ;-)

Thanks for the replies so far, loved the airport advise...thankyou. Think we will just take the Mexican pesos with us as we are from uk and don't have American dollars to hand.

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
268 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers to CRT and Mexico......few questions for u ;-)

How much would people tip in pesos on average?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers to CRT and Mexico......few questions for u ;-)

We brought plenty of US dollars with us (ones and fives mostly). We'd give $5 for turn down service and then leave a few dollars in the fridge. When we first got there we left a note in our fridge asking for more water and Coronas and left a $5. Everyday coming back from the beach would be a fridge full of cold waters and Coronas. We went with two other couples and we'd all leave $3-$5 each after breakfast,lunch,dinner. We started out tipping at the bars leaving a $1 or $2 after each drink, but found it easier to just leave them a $20 starting out after we became friends and as many times as we went back. They appeciate it and will always look for you over others throughout the day. These people are hard workers and I forgot where I read how much they actually make, but it wasn't much.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,450 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers to CRT and Mexico......few questions for u ;-)

Angie - here's what *I* do - I don't know if it's average but suspect (hope!) it's close:

- greeter guy (private transfer) at the airport - 10 - 20 pesos

- private transfer driver - 100 - 200 pesos (depending upon distance and level of service provided)

- bell boys - approx 10 pesos per bag, usually rounded up to the closest 50

- maid - 40 - 60 pesos/day

- fridge restocker - 20 pesos/day

- bar tenders 10 pesos every round or so, more if the rounds are large or consist of frou-frou drinks that are more labour intenstive to make

- pool/beach services - 10-20 pesos EVERY time (that sun is HOT!)

- buffet meals - 0 - 50 pesos, depending upon level of service provided

- a la carte meals 50 - 100 pesos per couple, maybe more if service warrants it.

- room service - approx 50 pesos

I should probably add that I ONLY tip when I feel it's warranted/deserved and have no compunction about leaving no tip at all if the circumstances merit.

Sunny Florida
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers to CRT and Mexico......few questions for u ;-)

Tipping is such a personal choice thing that there is really no "right" answer. Like has already been said, we gauge the tips based on service levels.

One thing to be aware of .... some people leave a large tip for housekeepers (and others) at the start of their trip. But, most likely the actual person who does the housekeeping chores will not be the same one every day. Same holds true for the evening turn down service. And the bartenders and servers may be moved from one bar to another based on days off and hotel occupancy levels.

Tips do make up a large portion of their income and they are truly appreciated. It is well known that certain nationalities do NOT tip at all as it is not the custom in their country and/or they have been told by their tour operator that all tips are included in the price of their trip.

Other than monetary tips, the staff truly appreciates signs of respect and courtesy. Some guests treat the staff like slaves. We've seen it all-too-often and it is simply disgusting. A smile, please, thank you, etc (in any language) will be returned to you in many ways.

9. Re: First timers to CRT and Mexico......few questions for u ;-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Xpu-Ha
Recent Conversations