We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CRT - People getting turned away

Which Xpu-Ha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
12 posts
Save Topic
CRT - People getting turned away

Hi Everyone,

I am due to arrive on the 8th June for 2 weeks and cannot wait.

However, I have just noticed that there are a number of posts saying alot of people are getting turned away and bumped to cheaper resorts.

I think after 10 hours of flying I am likely to blow a gasket if I get turned away.

Anyone know if this is common in June? We will be flying with Thompsons so I guess we can always involve the tour operator in any disputes but am just keen to make sure we dont get moved.

Steve

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CRT - People getting turned away

Hi Steve

I am with you on this. We will be arriving at the end of May and are also travelling with Thomson/First Choice. I will more than blow a gasket – the hurricane season will not have a patch on me. I contacted Thomson a couple of weeks ago regarding this when it became evident people were being moved. They assured me the hotel has my booking and everything will be OK – well we will see. I won’t be moving to any sort of lower graded hotel – no matter what they offer. Hope the Thomson Rep in the resort has everything under control.

Eric

Bristol, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: CRT - People getting turned away

Hi Eric,

Thanks for replying.

Did you email Thomson? If so do you have the address you sent it to?

Was going to email the hotel and just voice my concerns but not sure if that would just be tempting fate.

Steve

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CRT - People getting turned away

Hi Steve

We booked with First Choice (same company). The email address I used was

pretravelservices@firstchoice.co.uk

I have looked on Thomson and this is the link

thomson.co.uk/editorial/send-us-an-email-pre…

Would be intrested to know what they say.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CRT - People getting turned away

I'm thinking / hoping that this week will be the tail end of the "high season". This happened last year at the same time when we went the first week in May. By the end of April the stories started to die down and our check in went well and our stay was awesome. Well we are set to arrive in 12 days and have been monitoring the stories. It looks like most of them were from early April. I went ahead and e-mailed CRT yesterday and voiced my concerns and they responded back saying that they have my confirmation and that there is no need to worry. That didn't totally alleviate my worries, but at least I have some evidence to bring with me in case they try to pull something.

Bristol, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: CRT - People getting turned away

Hi Jeff,

I think I'm going to do the same and email them directly.

As you say I will then have something to to waive in front of them if they try it on.

Have a great trip!

Steve

Stoneham...
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CRT - People getting turned away

This is concerning :(

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,572 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: CRT - People getting turned away

April (with the late Easter) and US Spring break vacations resulted in many hotels having overbookings

May is quieter so overbookings will usually be rare

Bristol, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: CRT - People getting turned away

I have emailed my tour operator so will see what they say.

Hopefully they are quieter in June also !!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,726 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CRT - People getting turned away

¨ I will then have something to to waive in front of them if they try it on.¨

In my opinion, it does little good to wave anything in front of them. I doubt they are denying they have your booking. They are just doing what is common in the hotels all over the world---¨walking¨ some guests. Hotels and airlines will always overbook. They play the game based on history of no shows. Problem is, sometimes everyone shows!

Many hotels and chains have a written policy on how they handle ¨walks¨. Ask about the policy and what you are entitled to receive.

From my experience from years in the travel industry, those who book directly with the resort are less likely to get ¨walked¨ than those booking through third parties such as Thomson or First Choice, etc. The reason is often simple--they retain more money for direct bookings.

Bristol, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: CRT - People getting turned away

The reality is however that some people prefer to book with an operator for the security benefits of having someone represent you if needed.

I understand there is obviously a business benefit of overbooking, however from the sounds of previous posts the "solution" may not be whats best for the customer.

I certainly would not want to be "walked" to a lower rated/graded hotel when I have paid to stay at the CRT.

Again I am just concerned about the recent posts and am probably being over cautious.

The majority of customers say their stay was fantastic and i'm sure that will be the case, really looking forward to staying at the CRT, it looks amazing.