We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

collectivo question

Stoneham...
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
103 reviews
collectivo question

Been reading TA threads about this and having never done it have a question....I was under the impression the cost was set, am I wrong, is it something you have to agree on with the driver when you get on?

Also what is the current cost, negotiated or not :) thanks

Lethbridge
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: collectivo question

Its a set price from the few times I have taken them. its 30 pesos from tulum to Playa, and I assume another 30 from Playa to Cancun. The driver will prob not even acknowledge you when you get on. just pay him when you get off wherever you are going.

Stoneham...
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
103 reviews
2. Re: collectivo question

Thanks, I was under the impression it was a set price but then saw a comment about it being negotiable....glad it is set...thank you

Lethbridge
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: collectivo question

I wouldn't negotiate! haha

I gave the driver 40 once and 50 the next time and he seemed happy. :)

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,307 posts
4. Re: collectivo question

Prices vary depending on the length- the driver usually has a price board so ask to see it

Playa to CRT is likely around 30 pesos / 35 to Akumal / 40 to Tulum

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
28 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: collectivo question

We usually ask the bellman at the hotel what the going price of a Collectivo trip will be. Short hops like from CRT to Akumal I think we usually pay 20 pesos and longer trips 30 pesos.

Stoneham...
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
103 reviews
6. Re: collectivo question

we did use the collectivo to go from CRT to Akumal when we were there in May...CRT certainly has a great location for making it so easy to hop on and off....we paid 30 pesos each for each way...it was a great day

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: collectivo question

I have been using 40 pesos or less to cover the sliding scale cost that is set and not negotiable but always tippable . I was surprised by paying the driver on leaving the van rather than entry , so just get on and sit down and clearly say your Mayan named destination as best you can . SHHPOOHA

8. Re: collectivo question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 07:17