We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ravenglass June 2014

Which Ravenglass hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Ravenglass June 2014

Hi - wondered if there was storm damage at Ravenglass. We intend to use the village as a base for a week and as its so coastal we were a bit concerned. Thanks

8 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
9,534 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ravenglass June 2014

Nothing to fear. A few cottages (right by the sea wall) were flooded at the highest tides. As a visitor you'll probably not even notice anything amiss.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ravenglass June 2014

Ravenglass doesn't face the open sea so probably escaped the brunt of the storms.

Its great to see someone choosing the Western side of the Lakes.

There is so much to do around Eskdale, Wasdale , Muncaster.

Try a typical Cumbrian Pub

http://www.thebrowncowinn.com/menu.html

A drive to Wasdale Head is fantastic and

Another trip combines an hour on the harbour at Whitehaven then a drive to Ennerdale returning to Ravenglass via Cold Fell

The Cold Fell road joins Ennerdale Bridge and Calder Bridge on the A595.

Hardknott Pass ?

www.visitcumbria.com/wc/hardknott-pass/

Join the debate, is Bewleys Cumberland Sausage better than Woodalls?

Try both at the Brown Cow and decIde

LOL

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ravenglass June 2014

That's great - thanks for the info- although we are ina campervan - not so big - about the size of a transit - I heard somewhere that Hardknot Pass might be a problem?? Many thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ravenglass June 2014

Thanks so much. We have so much damage here that I thought best to ask. We are looking forward to our trip. Your info was very much appreciated.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ravenglass June 2014

Sorry to ask again - I looked up the Brown Cow & it looks good - will definitely give it a try. I wondered if you knew of any other dog friendly pubs etc? Thanks in advance

London
Level Contributor
9,534 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ravenglass June 2014

Hardknott pass in a camper van would be unwise. It's extremely steep with sharp (very sharp) hairpins. You van might have enough ooomph to tackle the gradient but you'll really struggle with the small (and heavily cambered) passing places if you meet something coming the other way.

Look at the warning sign (first photo) on this web link.

www.visitcumbria.com/wc/hardknott-pass/

If you want to visit the Roman Fort (which is perched precariously over a cliff ledge), you can park at the bottom of the pass and walk up - steep but not too difficult.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 11:10
Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ravenglass June 2014

We visited Ravenglass last week i thought there'd be a shop/factory unit selling Ravenglass but didnt see any..

Abingdon, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ravenglass June 2014

Plenty of good pubs around. I spend about 3 months each year in Eskdale - my pick would be the Brook House Inn in Boot, but the Woolpack (just beyond Boot) is also nice and fresh and a good choice in good weather as it's lovely outside. The Strands Inn and microbrewery in Nether Wasdale is great if you like your real ales and will have 6 or 7 of their own brews on. There's one pub in Ravenglass - the Holly Inn, which I haven't tried since a recent refurb. As far as I'm aware, all the pubs in the area are dog friendly.

Reply to: Ravenglass June 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ravenglass