We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitehaven town

Which Whitehaven hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
85 reviews
Save Topic
Whitehaven town

Why has the local council allowed Whitehaven to become such an uninviting, dirty town. I have just returned from a week there and the state of the harbour area was depressing. It and the town around it had litter over most of the the pavements, and I hope the roadworks in the centre were absolutely essential as all that did was add to the general air of a run-down neglected town. I thought it was a holiday destination, but I certainly won't be going back, nor recommending it to any of my friends.

19 replies to this topic
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
5,821 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitehaven town

We liked Whitehaven when there a couple of years ago. Be aware, however, that local council spending is really under the screw - worse now than then - and the sort of things OP mentions are unfortunately the first to go. Copeland council was one of the worst hit - see, e.g. whitehavennews.co.uk/news/copeland-cuts-conf…

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitehaven town

I lived in Whitehaven in my earlier years

It was never a tourist destination but a gritty mining town with a working harbour and a fishing fleet

The pit has closed, the harbour is a newish Marina and the fishing boats no longer offload there

Despite this its still an interesting place if you look under the surface

There are plenty of townsfolk trying their best to elevate it

ZEST restaurant, the RUM STORY. And the BEACON come to mind

I would urged anyone going to the Lake Zdistrict to head over to the West Coast, Cockermouth too

St,.Bees is a great beach, Fleswick Bay a nice walk across the Headland as part of the Coast to Coast walk

So yes Whitehaven might be a little bit down at heel but it won't improve unless people take a wee bit time and trouble to drive further than Keswick and give the cafes and restaurants and shops a little bit of your holiday business

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitehaven town

Went there on Wednesday, it was closed.

What a dump, litter everywhere, large commercial waste bins everywhere you looked.

Then it started raining.

To cap it all, there are NO PUBLIC TOILETS in the Town!

We will not be going again, from Keswick we may drive as far as Cockermouth.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
5,821 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitehaven town

For loos try Wetherspoon. Has OP heard of austerity? If it is not actually dangerous, councils have no money to repair it. Welcome to Britain 2015.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
5,821 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitehaven town

For loos try Wetherspoon. Has OP heard of austerity? If it is not actually dangerous, councils have no money to repair it. Welcome to Britain 2015.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,261 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitehaven town

"Then it started raining".

You blame the council for that ?

My view is that Whitehaven is improved but there's still a way to go. If there really are no public toilets in the town, then they really can't expect to be taken seriously as a tourist destination; perhaps they should have saved some of the money spent repaving the waterfront to get the basics right. Going into a pub to use their toilets is simply not an acceptable alternative.

Cockermouth is a case in point - an relatively ordinary town which has developed into an excellent tourist destination. Whitehaven has even more lovely Georgian buildings, interesting history and an impressive harbour - and it would be great if it could go the same way.

Mike

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whitehaven town

Im not blaming the council for the rain, thats just childish!

I am commenting that a supposedly seaside town relying on tourism has no public toilets!

If you want visitors to see your town, then cater for them!

Sorry, but the impression I got on our visit (and I was not alone, there were 45 of us)

is the one I stated.

Edited: 22 June 2015, 16:45
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whitehaven town

Using businesses for loo's is NOT acceptable for a tourist town relying on visitors for income!

What do you do when the shops/pubs etc are closed? How do you know which business have loo's or which will let you use them? Get real and cater for the people who spend money in the area, or they WILL go somewhere else!

Edited: 01 August 2015, 20:05
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whitehaven town

This is exactly how we found the town, so glad we are not in a minority!

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
20 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whitehaven town

It IS run-down, often dirty, and there is a general air of neglect, which has little to do with the local council and a lot to do with the local community, who do not see themselves as a tourist town, just a feeder town for the Sellafield complex. The harbour can be beautiful, and a lot of money was spent on renovation, but it's the locals who let their dogs lose to foul, and drop litter, fag ends and chewing gum all over the town, it's the local kids who vandalise the beautiful iron works on the harbour, and it's the locals who reel out of the many cheap bars and takeaways at the harbour end of town to spoil everyone else's evenings. Cockermouth works hard to stay one step ahead, but they have the same problem with drunks etc. in the evenings.

Reply to: Whitehaven town
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Whitehaven
More Whitehaven Topics