We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help-Where to stay visiting Donington Race Track

Which Castle Donington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help-Where to stay visiting Donington Race Track

Hi

I am taking my partner to Donington Race track in March for a driving thrill. We fly into Eastmidlands and are not sure on where to stay. We are a young coup 28yrs and would like some where to stay that has nice restaurants/pubs and a bit of sightseeing. However we don’t want to hire a car so we would need somewhere accessible to the race track and the airport? is Castle Donington an option or should we head to the city of Derby?

Thanks

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help-Where to stay visiting Donington Race Track

Have a look at the reviews for places in Melbourne. It has a hall with a lake and a nice old church. There are a couple of really good restaturants and at least one hotel. It will cost you about 15 pounds for taxis to and from the airport and the race track but that's less than from Derby. You can get to Derby and back on the bus.

and I will add that Castle Donington is actually in Leicestershire although the postal system and Trip Advisor place it in Derbyshire. Melbourne is completely in Derbyshire.

Edited: 24 November 2010, 21:00
Belfast
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help-Where to stay visiting Donington Race Track

Thank you for your response! Will check it out now!

Many thanks again!

x

UK
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help-Where to stay visiting Donington Race Track

Hi.. Castle Donington is pretty much the nearest place and is quite a nice village, as is Kegworth, also nearby, but I am unsure about you getting around esily without a car.. Taxis will probably be your best option. Derby in my opinion is too far and personally I find it a drab place... but that's just me!

There are the airport hotels at EMA but might be a bit pricey, depends if you are staying at weekend or in the week, but you might find a good deal if you book in advance.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help-Where to stay visiting Donington Race Track

The airport is only a mile or so from the race track, and Diseworth is the closest village to the airport, and has a few guest houses. There are lots of hotels around the airport (Donington Thistle is actauuly with the aiport perimeter) but most of them will be pricey, as will the hotels in Castle Donington. Kegworth village is a couple of miles away with hotels (Best Western Yew Lodge and Kegworth Whitehouse) and guest houses. Kegworth, East Midlands Airport, the race track and Castle Donington are all connected by the Sky Link bus service which runs half hourly throughout the day between Leicester and Derby so you could manage without your own transport. Alternate journeys during the day run through Diseworth, but it's not far to walk from there. The bus service gives an advantage to the places I've mentioned over Melbourne, which I agree is a very pleasant place to stay.

5. Re: Help-Where to stay visiting Donington Race Track

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2011, 05:39
Get answers to your questions about Castle Donington
More Castle Donington Topics