We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anybody visited Shelter Cove/the Lost Coast in November?

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Has anybody visited Shelter Cove/the Lost Coast in November?

My husband and I were thinking of going to Shelter Cover/Lost Coast in November (Thanksgiving long weekend), but we don't have any info on whether it's a bad/good time to go for weather reasons. My guess is that there's more risk of rain, but what about fog? Also, do we need to have a 4WD vehicle at that time or is a jeep/SUV sufficient with front wheel drive. Please advise. Thanks!

Annie

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,645 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anybody visited Shelter Cove/the Lost Coast in November?

Hi armcclure1 ~ It's been a number of years since we visited Shelter Cove, but the road into it is all paved. It is very steep and winding, but we drove there in a 24' motorhome, so a regular car will have no problem. Well, that's assuming it's not icy!

They do get a lot of fog, though.

If you google "shelter cove, ca" you'll get a lot of websites for it; maybe one will give you info about weather.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,335 posts
6,139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anybody visited Shelter Cove/the Lost Coast in November?

We went to Shelter Cove in end August. As mentioned the road is very slow and windy. It is paved all the way. The day we were there it was sunny and windy. Given the weather along the coast it can be rainy and fog in November. If you plan to do any exploring in the area I would suggest a 4 wheel drive. However if you just want to take the road across to Shelter Cove and back jeep/SUV is fine (we had an envoy SUV). There are only a few restaurants in the area - some lodging - etc. so bring books and games with you as you'll have a lot of time just to relax if you go.

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anybody visited Shelter Cove/the Lost Coast in November?

Just wondered if you made the trip to Shelter Cove in November?

My husband and I were considering going to Shelter Cove over

New Year's Day.

Sharon

4. Re: Has anybody visited Shelter Cove/the Lost Coast in November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 20:21
Get answers to your questions about Shelter Cove