We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling around the atherton area?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling around the atherton area?

Hi

(coming up from mission beach) I'm planning to spend 12-14 Jan in the atherton region - but am unsure of what to see! I've got a number of locations on my list so far - but .. don't know how to 'schedule them' haha.

(millaa milla waterfall circuit, various other falls, ravenshoe - innot hot springs, my hypipamee crater, dinner falls, malanda, curtain fig, yungaburra, granite...)

any help would be great

thanks

-mel

Lake Eacham Crater Lakes National Park
Forests, National Parks, Hiking Trails, Bodies of Water
The Crystal Caves
Natural History Museums, Speciality Museums
The Bat Hospital Visitor Centre
Visitor Centres, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Lake Tinaroo
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Cairns
Level Contributor
43 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling around the atherton area?

There's so much to see on the Tablelands, I'd suggest staying a night up there, maybe at Atherton. It's such a lovely area. It would be a "huge" day to see all you've listed plus the other attactions, it's about a 2 hour drive from Mission Beach to the Tablelands.+

Hope this helps.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling around the atherton area?

Hi!

Haha - yes that's why I said i'd be staying the 12-14 - so probably 2 nights and 3 days - in the region. I'm planning to stay one night in yungaburra.

any other suggestions? :)

Sorry if i was confusing!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling around the atherton area?

Before ascent to the Tablelands you could visit Paronella Park and if staying in Cairns afterward see the dinner show at the Shangri-La called Impossible Dream based on the history of the park. This finishes late January I think. Bit pricey though.

If you like a bit of a hike (moderate, flat) I really recommend Nandroya Falls. This will be half way between Innisfail and Milla Milla. The trail head is over the other side of the road bridge from the Henrietta Creek camping ground at the end of the grassy bit (small almost hard to find sign marks the start).There is a smaller falls on the left loop going in, you need to cross this one to rejoin the traiI have had people thinking that was it. ! need about 2 hours, it is our favourite.

They have Ma-Mu canopy walkways along this route as well. I have still not done this,

Mungalli Falls Dairy Cafe, is a lovely country road drive. Great yoghurts.

Stay at Yungaburra if you want to try your luck at Platypus Spotting.This is best right on dawn or dusk. We have had better luck walking very quietly along the creek rather than at the blinds on the main road.

Stay at Malanda if you like quiet country towns plus they have the longest running cinema in Australia and still have the deck chairs, take a pillow !

I would not go for innot Hot Springs myself unless doing a trip to Undara Tubes which is quite time consuming but very good if a bit over priced.

There is Mt Uncle Distillery (enroute Granite Gorge) and Golden Drop (Mareeba) for fruits liquers and wines. Coffee Plantations and Tea Plantations. They have the best milk in the world :)

Herbeton Historic Village may appeal or Irvingbank , Queensland style country towns.

For the other night I would consider staying at Undara Lava Tubes, Chillagoe Cabins (maybe sold?) , Jabiru Safari Lodge or Cedar Creek Rainforest Retreat. All very different so depends what interests you.

weather will affect Undara or Chillagoe due to section of dirt or partially dirt roads. In normal condition fine for 2wd but in rain?.

I hope the weather gods are kind to you because you have planned a truly fantastic trip. How to really experience the area. Terrific!

Edited: 04 January 2011, 10:23
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling around the atherton area?

haha.. thanks for that... not sure if i'll have enough time to do all of that... but.. i shall try my best!

i posted the rest of my ideas here

tripadvisor.in/…30359661

for the rest of my trip (i'm from melbourne :) .. )

thanks again!

ps why wouldn't you go to innot hot springs?

5. Re: Travelling around the atherton area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Atherton