We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay on route - Cairns to Undara.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Place to stay on route - Cairns to Undara.

Hello,

We (couple) will be traveling to Nth Qld for a short trip in July/Aug.

One thing we would like to see are the Undara lava tubes. With this in mind our plan for our first 2 days are: fly in very early (6am), drive in the direction of Undara stopping off at various sights along the way. Day 2 arrive Undara and tour the lava tubes, stay at Undara (or nearby) that night before heading northward toward Daintree the next day.

What I am looking for are recommendations for a place to stay on our first night - ie somewhere on route from Cairns to Undara.

I would be happy to receive ideas for particular accommodations (although, fancy resorts may be a bit out of our price range) or simply a nice town or area.

Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

The Bat Hospital Visitor Centre
Visitor Centres, Nature & Wildlife Areas
The Crystal Caves
Speciality Museums, Natural History Museums
Lake Tinaroo
Points of Interest & Landmarks
10 replies to this topic
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay on route - Cairns to Undara.

Hi Ray.

Loads to see and do in the tablelands area.

You can split between the way out and then the way back to Daintree.

You could drive south on the Main highway (stop Josephine Falls) to Innisfail see Paronella park, then go up the tablelands and see Crawford Lookout. MaMu Canopy walkway, waterfall circuit , crater lakes, cathedral fig and/or curtain fig. Stay Yungaburra and go platypus spotting down by Petersen Creek (best to follow the path alongside the river across the bridge from the blind). A good value place used to be Kookaburra Lodge but have not stayed for a long time. Small rooms but very clean and lovely sitting area outside with lots of potted plants. Other more upmarket accommodation available in the town as well.

http://www.kookaburra-lodge.com/

http://www.yungaburra.com/

Then leaving Undara you could think about stopping at:

http://www.herbertonhistoricvillage.com.au/

Rock Wallaby Feeding (beware swimming here, stick to the dam)

www.granitegorge.com.au/activities.html

Mareeba wetlands, bird sanctuary (other wildlfe as well)

http://www.mareebawetlands.org/

Tokyo
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay on route - Cairns to Undara.

Thanks very much verdant.

How long would you say the drive would be from Yungaburra to the lava tubes? Maybe we'd be better off staying there for 2 the nights and just drive to the tubes for a visit.

Ray

Edited: 27 January 2011, 23:17
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay on route - Cairns to Undara.

Ray

Hard question as Yungaburra and around Mt Surprise are like 2 totally different countries.

Undara can feel a bit of a rip off but still it does have some good experiences if you stay over night. Kangaroos seem to be more visible very early each morning around the campsite, if you wander out (with torch) to the road at night the night sky is unbelievable and the sunset champagne tour is really nice.

Around Yungaburra is more comfortable accommodation and the amenities small towns offer.

The distance is not far but the deterioration in road quality is apparent with the sealed section of road reducing to centre road only. This means moving onto the dirt shoulder when oncoming traffic approaches. I would suggest a slower speed along such roads. So allow 2.5 hours each way to make it comfortable.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay on route - Cairns to Undara.

I'd be inclined to drive direct. It took me towards 5 hours, with a break, a year or so ago.

I had a really great hamburger at a service station at, I think, Mt Garnet.

Edited: 28 January 2011, 02:54
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay on route - Cairns to Undara.

Margo,

I think the tablelands and waterfalls deserve time. You do not agree?

Tokyo
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to stay on route - Cairns to Undara.

Verdant and margo,

Thanks for your input.

Verdant, the idea of experiencing the contrast of the 2 areas does appeal to us.

You mentioned the evening tour - would you recommend this as opposed to the normal 2 hour lava tube tour? I've read that the mass bat exodus only occurs in the summer months, so bearing that in mind, is this still a worthwhile tour?

Thanks again,

Ray

Edited: 29 January 2011, 07:49
yungaburra
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to stay on route - Cairns to Undara.

yes to verdant,

the contrast of the Tablelands and the outback make for a great holiday.

the nights are getting very cool here at the moment, so do bring a jumper. The days have been just beautiful. I came to Yungaburra fifteen years ago and never left, so do think its worth a stop.

Lakeland, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to stay on route - Cairns to Undara.

My wife and I are going to Undara next month. Is there anything to do there in the evening? A simple dinner is served at 5 PM, and then we are scheduled to do the day tour at 10:30 AM. Would anyone recommend the evening tour over the day tour? If we don't do the evening tour, I don't know what we will do after 5 PM as there doesn't seem to be anything else around.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to stay on route - Cairns to Undara.

Hi, for future reference you should start your own thread as the original post here is 6 years old and your question is not related to the original. I only read it because I went to Undara 6 months ago.

Undara is a pretty remote place so there's not much around in terms of entertainment. There's a restaurant and bar at the resort and the meals are surprisingly good. They had activities in the evening such as trivia nights so that may interest you.

I went on the 10.30 tour and it's very good - the lava tubes are amazing as is the scenery en route. I can't help you with the evening tour sorry.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to stay on route - Cairns to Undara.

I also suggest that you book your tour before you get there, as you can drive all the way out there and it can be booked out- how disappointing!

Its kind of nice to also not have anything to do but look at the stars as well.

Reply to: Place to stay on route - Cairns to Undara.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Atherton