We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alkoomie or Mungumby?

Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Alkoomie or Mungumby?

If anyone is familiar with the location and nature of these accommodations, I would much appreciate some input to help me make a suitable choice for a 2 - 3 day stay from where we would like to base ourselves for small excursions around the area.

Many thanks in advance.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alkoomie or Mungumby?

Alkoomie is a cattle station on Cape York, near Cooktown. Mungumby is a wilderness lodge on the way to Cooktown near Black Mountain.

I have heard of Mungumby before but not the cattle station.

Both are probably around 300k-400k from Cairns.

hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alkoomie or Mungumby?

Thanks LTB, are you familiar with the area? We are thinking of doing a Guurrbi tour and possibly visiting Laura (independently) as well. Any comments welcome...

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alkoomie or Mungumby?

Yes I have been up to Cooktown via road a number of times, up the Bloomfield Track about 4 times and via the Mulligan Hwy, even before it was all sealed. Unfortunately I haven't been out to Laura, only through Lakeland. Have stopped and taken lots of pics around the Black Mountain area, which I find amazing. Even stopped a few times at the Palmer River Road House, now that's an experience.

Cooktown is like a "wild west town" that's my description anyway but I enjoy the history of the area, and it is so different to the touristy areas like Cairns and Port Douglas.

I assume you have a 4WD. The coast road via Bloomfield Falls is quite steep in sections and can flood easily in the wet season, as there's many creeks to cross. The tours you are taking sound fantastic, I'll put them on my to do list. Guurrbi goes from Cooktown, so at a guess Black Mountain and Mungumby sound closer and mostly via a sealed road.

Love to hear your trip review when you return.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alkoomie or Mungumby?

Thanks again LTB. Yes we will have a 4WD. Where did you stay in Cooktown?

Did you do a river cruise? If so is it worthwhile doing one in Cooktown AND on the Daintree if time is limited. Whereabout on the highway is the Palmer River Roadhouse, can't see Palmer River on my map?

Appreciate your input on priorities as unfortunately we will only have three days in the area including the drive from Cairns to Cooktown, probably inland and then Cooktown to PD, probably Coastal...

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alkoomie or Mungumby?

Hi again,

The Palmer River Roadhouse is a pub/petrol/camping grounds about 80k north of Mt Carbine on the Mulligan Hwy.

We had dinner there on our drive back to Cairns last time, the steaks were great. Don't understand why it's not on your map, surely the Palmer River is on it. Old gold mining town.

I found a website with pics on it, it's a basic site.

http://palmerriverroadhouse.com

We stayed at the Seaview Hotel about 4 years ago our room basic 1970's style, but its all basic up there, great view, across the road from the water.

Didn't go on an Endeavour River cruise, but have done the Daintree. We like the history so went to the James Cook Museum, and the old cemetery.

But be sure to stop at the Palmer River Roadhouse on your way up there, like turning the clock back, reminds me in a way of the Blue Heeler outside Kynuna, north of Winton, but "different"

hope this helps

hope this helps

Edited: 08 August 2010, 05:46
Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
James Cook Museum
James Cook Museum
375 Reviews
Cooktown, Australia
Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alkoomie or Mungumby?

The Seaview Hotel is the best value for money with great sunsets. The river cruise is good value as you'll see crocs (they have a stuffed croc head on board) and they'll look at a few crab pots. Cooktown is gentrifying (is this a word?) rapidly these days so no real wild west town any more. But a good base to explore some spots that haven't yet been worn out. But it won't be long. A mate of mine got to the cape in a 2WD Territory recently so the whole area will soon be overrun.

If you get a calm day, and this is the wind capital of the north, go to the reef. It's not far away and the snorkelling (and fishing) are very good.

Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alkoomie or Mungumby?

Thanks to both LTB and Whiteman for the Seaview and other feedback. All most helpful! Took another look on the map and found the Palmer River. Didn't spot it the first time as it was labelled further west (upstream/downstream?) from the road and was being lazy :)

We're thinking of driving the inland road, leaving Cairns around 5:00pm. Have been warned about the strong possibility of there being animals on the inland road at night. Noticed that LTB mentioned dinner at Palmer River RH so figured you had done the same. Do you see this as either

1. a big problem re the animals ( I assume roos and cattle) or

2. a big shame to miss out on the landscape and surrounds.

Some posters have said its pretty ordinary, others have described it as worth experiencing. It's obviously personal but would like your opinions.

If our time weren't limited I would probably do the trip by day regardless.

We will return via the Coastal track/road.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alkoomie or Mungumby?

Driving at night on just about any country road in Australia brings in to play wildlife. Got a good set of spotties and bullbar? And I think the road is a bit boring (and usually covered in fog).

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alkoomie or Mungumby?

No bullies nor spotties just standard fitout I'm afraid.

If we take it relatively slow do you think we'll be OK?

What are the speed limits on that route?

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alkoomie or Mungumby?

Which month are you travelling there ? The highway was not foggy when we travelled along it in November. We did see cattle on one of our trips, but in the daylight and lots of them, had to stop on occasions. If you are leaving around 5 pm that is the worst time to spot roos, on dusk and the early morning is when you are sure to see them out grazing for food.

We got back to Cairns about 10pm (in November) decided on that trip to leave then as was cooler, was around 7-8pm when at Palmer River (from memory) we didn't see any roos at that time luckily. Whiteman may have thought about the fog on the range nearer to Cairns, but you'll miss that if you leave at 4 or 5pm to head north.

Bloomfield track is the most scenic route. (and that's your return trip?)

The coast route is shorter, but that should be done during the day time and leave yourself plenty of time to do it, or you'll miss the wonderful views and scenery, it's really amazing, be sure to see the Bloomfield Falls and Cape Trib. too. The creeks are crystal clear and worth a stop to cool down. You'll need it if the track is dry and dusty as it can be at times.

......anymore questions?

Edited: 09 August 2010, 10:07
Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Get answers to your questions about Cooktown