We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caravan Parks and Campgrounds in Cooktown

Singleton, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Caravan Parks and Campgrounds in Cooktown

Hi,

I'm after some recommendations for caravans and campgrounds in Cooktown.

Thanks in advance.

9 replies to this topic
1. Re: Caravan Parks and Campgrounds in Cooktown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 April 2014, 14:05

Singleton, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caravan Parks and Campgrounds in Cooktown

We have googled a number of caravan parks and campgrounds in the Cooktown area so we do have a rough idea of what is in the area just to clarify. We were just after some RECOMMENDATIONS (please refer to my original request) as tripadvisor is a forum where you can usually ask such questions.

Peak Hill, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caravan Parks and Campgrounds in Cooktown

We stayed at the Orchid Travellers Park in Cooktown in May 2013 and we enjoyed it greatly.We wouldnt hesitate in staying there again and will be venturing up there again in early 2015

Singleton, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caravan Parks and Campgrounds in Cooktown

Thanks for your recommendation, its great to hear from someone who has stayed at the Orchid Travellers Park because that is where we have decided to book. We were a little torn with booking the Big 4, the Orchid Travellers Park or a campground out of town. In the end we decided it would be best to be central to everything and that is why we decided on Orchid Travellers Park.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caravan Parks and Campgrounds in Cooktown

Yes I have stayed 3. nights at the orchid also, and chose it as it was central...many places you can walk to anyway. I found cooktown to be very windy, and this van park was sheltered. The bathrooms were clean and the park tidy.

I think you will need to change your plans though since the cyclone just ripped the town apart, so you would need to check on whether its open when you want to go, the road conditions, and also the town services. Roads to beaches and the gardens may be closed for a while to do some clean up. It was such a beautiful place. I liked the palm garden.♡

Singleton, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caravan Parks and Campgrounds in Cooktown

We called the caravan park before the cyclone and they said to book officially with them 2 weeks prior to our arrival so we should have an indication if the place is operating in its normal capacity by then. We plan to arrive in Cooktown the first week of July. Thanks for your recommendations, I didn't realise Cooktown can be windy thankyou for the heads up, Im relieved the Orchid is sheltered.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caravan Parks and Campgrounds in Cooktown

By the way the market...think it is a sunday morning...is a great way to people watch and chat to the locals. We meet a lady who cares for wildlife and we held a baby joey in a sling as he had no mum. The remote beaches are magic. Ghere is so much to see there. No 4wd vehicles such as mine had to go the inland route and it was fascinating stopping to view the black mountain with its eerie rocks....hey you are making me want to go back! Hope the town will be up and running when you go...have a great time♡

travelling
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caravan Parks and Campgrounds in Cooktown

We stayed in a beautiful unique powered campground at Hill Top Farm. What makes it unique is that there is only one camping/caravan spot and it is all yours!! No neighbours or noise, no light pollution - so the night sky is incredible. It is only 18kms from Cooktown on a bitumen. There are amazing sunsets and mountain views to devour and as Hill Top Farm is an organic farm we were able to purchase fresh produce!

We had three children and the dog with us and all had a wonderful time. A little windy - but that is what Cooktown is famous for..

Will definitely be back next school holidays!

Townsville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caravan Parks and Campgrounds in Cooktown

If you're fully self contained, there's a very convenient $5 a night for two nights place right in town. Permit from council admin.

Reply to: Caravan Parks and Campgrounds in Cooktown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cooktown