We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silky Oaks Lodge new owners

Which Daintree hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Silky Oaks Lodge new owners

Previously owned by Voyages, another of the Australian resort properties has been sold off. Silky Oaks now bought and run by a private buyer/family.

Once established by private owners, Moss Hunt, it has under ownership by P&O, then GPT/Voyages and now again a private family. Good Luck and hope that the property keeps its charm of being a private rainforest escape.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,387 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silky Oaks Lodge new owners

Thanks for the info DJen...my friend works for Voyages and tells me that most resorts have been sold off now except Uluru..

I'm pleased it's gone into private hands.

EM.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silky Oaks Lodge new owners

Has Lizard island also been sold?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silky Oaks Lodge new owners

Just checked the Voyages site. All the resorts are still owned by Voyages except Cradle Mountain and Silky Oaks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,935 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silky Oaks Lodge new owners

The Handover for Lizard, bedarra etc is in late october..it has been sold to an American Company..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silky Oaks Lodge new owners

El Questro in WA has also been sold. I have an idea that went to an American company too. (Possibly the same as one or two of the islands?)

While it's a shame to see these properties being sold off - often to overseas investors - it's good that they will hopefully now see a much needed boost in capital and investment and an improvement in quality and service levels. My experiences of Voyagers has been that they rested on their laurels by being in beautiful locations, but service, maintenance and their way of doin business all left a bit to be desired. One problem maybe was that they didn't really have a unified corporate image - they had middle of the road, family-oriented properties plus a few high end properties, then several that sat somewhere in between, not really knowing what market they were trying to target; i.e. priced out of reach of many travellers - especially families - but not delivering the kind of ambiance and service people who pay those prices expect.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silky Oaks Lodge new owners

Yes it is a shame that several of the properties will not be in Australian hands anymore.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,387 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silky Oaks Lodge new owners

I've been told all have been sold except Uluru.

8. Re: Silky Oaks Lodge new owners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2010, 05:15