We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainforest tours - help!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rainforest tours - help!

My husband and I will be staying in Cairns November 19-25. We arrive from the States on the 19th, and leave for Sydney on the 25th (around noon). We will be out on a liveaboard 21-23 (3 day/2 night).

So, we would like to see Daintree/Cape Trib and Kuranda. We are interested in seeing wildlife, but are not "birders". We were hoping for a trip that is somewhat personalized (4-6 people) into the rainforest. Pete Bexendall looks great, but is too expensive for just the 2 of us to afford. Anyone else out there who wants to join us?

Our tentative schedule so far is:

Day 1- arrive in Cairns, see Reef Teach

Day 2 - Kuranda (is this something we can do on our own, or do we need a tour?)

Day 3, 4, 5- diving GBR from a liveaboard

Day 6 - Daintree/Cape Trib/Mossman?/Atherton? (suggestions?)

Day 7 - flight to Sydney around noon

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainforest tours - help!

We will be there same time as you but I am extremely jealous about the GBR live aboard you are doing I just got certified. We will be there Nov 18-22 and have 2 days scuba GBR. We are doing the Flames of The forrest and are also doing Down Under Tour Cape Tribulation. I was told by our travel agent that Karanda can be done on own. There is also a scenic train in Cairns that looks awsome. We are doing the Down Under Tour Cape Trib on the 20th. If you don't have a travle agent you might call your concierge of the hotel you have booked in Cairns and ask for suggestions on tours. Our travle agent has been wonderful with suggestions. Also go to www.fordors.com or get Fordors 2005 Australia book definately woth the $20+ has tons of reccomendatons and they also have a forum board on their web site as well.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,135 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainforest tours - help!

For Kuranda you do not need a tour but definitely prebook your skyrail and train for departure times. If you have no car book the with transfer options...

If you do not preboook there is no guarantee you will get on the train and less chance of a window...

Southern United...
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainforest tours - help!

Hi there,

My family and myself recently stayed in Palm Cove for 4 nights and had a fabulous time.

We stayed at the Novotel, Palm Cove which was very nice.

We did a daytrip to the outer barrier reef with quicksilver (daytour so all transfers to and from hotel were included)and it was amazing.

We also did a daytrip to Daintree rainforest, Cape tribulation and mossman gorge. I would say that was one of our favourite day trips. We even had luch in the rainforest. Amazing scenery and photo opportunities. We went with Down Under Eco tours. The coach was a four wheel drive type vehical that had up to twenty passengers. The tour guide was great and had a fantastic sense of himour and packed the trip with information.

Have a great time. I'd go aagain tomorrow if i could!!!

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
163 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainforest tours - help!

We're thinking of booking with Pete during that time, but we're pretty limited with our timing. We can only do it 3pm, the 24th - 3pm, the 25th. Seems like you're leaving around noon on the 25th, though. If you want to give me your email, I can email you more details "offline."

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainforest tours - help!

sfgirl send email to forestfish at sunlink.net and I'll respond.

alabama
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainforest tours - help!

You can do Kuranda on your own. Remember this: EVERYTHING opens at 10 am and closes by 4 pm in Kuranda. The sky rail is awsome. We only done the skyrail not the train. We didn't book in advance either. According to the locals there tourist season is slow until first of December. There are two stops along the way up or down. Make sure to do the Barron Falls, as they are beautiful.

There is so much to see while you are there. Birdworld, Butterfly Sancuatuary, Tjabriki Aboriginal Park (at bottom of skyrail), The heritage market, New Kuranda Market and of course the Old Kuranda Market (not a lot of vendors there until December)

Banjos in the markets has good food., Kuranda Veranda (located in the caravan park) has excellent food and is open till 10 pm. If you go here tell them the ALABAMA people sent ya!! The chef there is a great. We met both the owner and chef while there (at least 30 minute chat).

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainforest tours - help!

Actually chexmix, I am a local and the tourist season starts to slow down by December 1, not the other way around. Whilst you may not be able to Skyrail at the exact time you want, you'll get one near enough as it runs in 15 minute segments. However it is a different story on the train as there are only two a day and often are booked out, especially on the way up to Kuranda on morning trains. So its a very good idea to book in advance, the previous day will usually do.