We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to travel to Daintree area from Cairns

Which Daintree hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
8 posts
Save Topic
Best way to travel to Daintree area from Cairns

My 16 year old grandson and I will fly in and out of Cairns in early May. We'll spend 4 days in Cairns and then would like to see Mossman Gorge, the Daintree rain forest, the river cruise, etc. We could spend one or two nights in the area before returning to Cairns. Because we do not have a car, what is the most reasonable way to travel back and forth to Cairns as well as see the key sights further up the coast?. Tours that start in Cairns, seem very expensive. Recommendations for travel, tours or places to stay would be greatly appreciated! Beth

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,299 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to travel to Daintree area from Cairns

Public transport from Cairns to The Daintree is limited www.countryroadcoachlines.com.au

You could consider renting a vehicle, to give you more flexibility for your excursion.

Some rental rates, and you may get a cheaper rental in Cairns.

www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au

www.drivenow.com.au

Distance calculator www.auinfo.com

Accommodation www.venere.com www.wotif.com

www.cairns-greatbarrierreef.org.au

www.ttnq.org.au

Edited: 07 December 2013, 23:32
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,565 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to travel to Daintree area from Cairns

I would recommend that you seriously reconsider renting a car. The Daintree area is so spread out that pubic transport really isn't a realistic option. If you really don't or can't rent a vehicle then a day tour is your only reasonable option.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to travel to Daintree area from Cairns

Ditto re above.

You either need a car , or stay in PD and get a tour for day.

There a re a few rental car options from PD that are good value for a day.

If you dont drive - get a tour, The distances are vast and your time is limited.

I would suggest a bit more research on what you want to do and then find a tour that covers your interest. Hiw far up the coast are you looking at going?

Austin, Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to travel to Daintree area from Cairns

All my driving instincts are based on driving in US and out of kindness to Australian drivers hoped to find some sort of local transportation between Cairns and Port Douglas. The farthest north we hoped to go was to Mossman Gorge with possibly an overnight stay in the rainforest.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to travel to Daintree area from Cairns

Mossman Gorge is right at the southern end of the huge Daintree rainforest region so if you wanted to stay 'in the rainforest' you would need to travel further north and in that case would definitely need to have your own transport. For more local info:-

www.destinationdaintree.com.

Our roads are very quiet, especially in May which is before our main visitor season, so I think you would find driving on the 'wrong' side quite easy. My husband's very first experience of driving on the right was right off the plane in Los Angeles!!! Now THAT was interesting ... but we survived!

But if it's really not your thing I would suggest simply hopping on a bus to Port Douglas - a very pleasant little resort town with lots of restaurants, shops and a good beach - then take a rainforest tour from there. It's an hour closer than Cairns which means you'll have more time to explore.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,299 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to travel to Daintree area from Cairns

We have taken two Daintree tours with www.tropicalhorizonstours.com.au which we enjoyed.

The tour is twelve hours, and includes morning tea stop, lunch at a hotel and afternoon tea and dampers at the Mossman Gorge indigenous settlement.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to travel to Daintree area from Cairns

Have you looked at SilkOaks lodge ? Not cheap but only about 30 minutes north of Port and right on the river - very beautiful.

Either/or my son did a Standup Paddle Board ( SUP) tour down the river with his grandfather last weekend and absolutely loved it - the highlight of his recent, adventure filled trip. We popped in for a visit and really looked wonderful floating down the gentle rapids under the rainforest canopy. There are also tours where you float down the river on rubber rings as well.

they used Wind swell

windswell.com.au/portfolio-view/…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,299 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to travel to Daintree area from Cairns

We went down the Daintree river in October, and saw three Crocs, I am impressed with your son :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to travel to Daintree area from Cairns

lol, it was the Mossman River. Fresh water and Croc free !

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,565 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to travel to Daintree area from Cairns

Yes, I was wondering what the insurance premiums for a company offering SUP trips on the Daintree River would be. LOL :-))

On the matter of driving - it took us about 5 minutes out of LAX to get used to driving on the other side of the road.

The road north out of Cairns is a multi lane freeway. By the time you get used to driving on the left you're on the only road north. It's pretty easy. The biggest danger is the temptation to rubberneck at the spectacular scenery as the road winds it's way north from Cairns to PD. It's a good idea to stop to take in the views - there are plenty of spots to pull off the road. Hardest part of driving on the 'wrong' side of the road is putting on your windscreen wipers when you really want to indicate that you're turning.