We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

locals townsville/magnetic, can we really be that unlucky?

Which Magnetic Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
locals townsville/magnetic, can we really be that unlucky?

hiya,

we are sitting in townsville heading to magnetic tomorrow for 10 days, and were soooo looking forward to it, just checked the weather forcast and it is giving 10 days of cloud and rain, now in Ireland that could mean 10 days of all day rain, can that really be the case here in queensland, I cant believe we would be so unlucky as to hit maybe the only 10 days of rain you get this year for every day of our trip, is it possible for such bad weather for the whole time?

yours depressed

shaz

PS what can you do on magnetic in the rain with an 8 and 12 year old.lol

North Ward...
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: locals townsville/magnetic, can we really be that unlucky?

You will not get 10 days of rain. You may get 10 days of lots of wind most days - it's been blowing for the past 6 weeks (apart from Tuesday which was damn near perfect although not predicted).

Forget 10 day forecasts. They are indicators only. At this time of year it is often windy and the onshore trades bring occassional showers which seem to pass quickly and can still drop an inch or two. At this stage it looks like Saturday night and Sunday will be our worst weather (strong wind warning with some showers). Otherwise expect sun.

The ocean temp is around 21 degrees and there should be good swimming for someone from Ireland (too cold for me).

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: locals townsville/magnetic, can we really be that unlucky?

From a purely selfish point of view I hope you've brought some rain with you, the garden really needs it.

We haven't really had a day of winter yet, it's been so warm... You'll be lucky to see a drop of rain while you're here.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: locals townsville/magnetic, can we really be that unlucky?

It's a beautiful part of our beautiful country... just get out and enjoy it rain or shine.... Rain in Australia (in Queensland particularly) is nothing at all like the rain one gets in the UK...

chin up and just make the most of every minute.. whatever comes ~

When life hands you a lemon.. reach for the tequila

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: locals townsville/magnetic, can we really be that unlucky?

That is a typical weather forcast for here but it never happens!!!

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: locals townsville/magnetic, can we really be that unlucky?

phew,

youve made me feel much better,

and i want to be selfish and see sunshine, not really concerned about your garden!!lo..l my garden in ireland is lush!! if you want a green lawn move there!! LMAO. x so much so im having to pay someone to cut our grass its growing so much in the rain while were here, theres a down side to everything!

and we're used to the tequilla, we often have to make the most of thing!!,

in spite of what people say I think townsvilles strand is real nice, cant wait to see magnetic, hope the sun shines good so we can get some beautiful photos for the folks back home.

thank guys

shaz

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: locals townsville/magnetic, can we really be that unlucky?

shazza- The Strand to me is one of the success stories of Townsville Development. It is now one of the best places to spend time relaxing and enjoying the views. If you get a chance (have a car) head out to Riverway area- another outdoor success area. Take a picnic and make an afternoon of it.

http://riverway.townsville.qld.gov.au/index

I will keep my fingers crossed for you- after growing up there I mainly head up now in June/Juy. I would be utterly surprised if you will hit 10 days of rain- maybe cloudy some days with some showers but after Ireland.... It only took me a few days of visiting Ireland to realise why it is soooo green. In 10 days it only didn't rain on 1 of them. I don't ever recall a Townsville Winter like that. Have fun,

Edited: 22 July 2010, 12:16
Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: locals townsville/magnetic, can we really be that unlucky?

Get up early tomorrow and watch the sun come up over the strand, 6.30am should do it, it's worth it.

Yes the strand is nice, whichever people you heard say different should swiftly added to your "haven't got a clue" list.

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: locals townsville/magnetic, can we really be that unlucky?

your right Fourb2 beautiful, and great to see the start of another sunny day!

thanks all,

shaz

heading off now in a much more positive fram of mind.

North Ward...
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: locals townsville/magnetic, can we really be that unlucky?

Full moon rising just after 7pm Sunday night. Book a spot on a licenced deck somewhere to watch it and pray for no clouds.

10. Re: locals townsville/magnetic, can we really be that unlucky?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Magnetic Island
Recent Conversations