We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decisions.... horseshoe or nelly ?

Which Magnetic Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
21 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Decisions.... horseshoe or nelly ?

We are a couple travelling to magnetic island for three nights four days in November, want to book accomodation and are totally stuck which place to stay. Could anyone do a compare and contrast? We are keen on snorkelling at some point, would like to do some walking and would consider hiring a car. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Decisions.... horseshoe or nelly ?

No argument here for me - got to be Horseshoe. Nelly bay looks to the mainland, not out to sea. You get a great view of ferries etc and there has been a lot more development on that side of the island. But Horseshoe has much more charm and nice beach. You can just hop on the local bus to get to shops etc really easily when you need that. For rest, relax and beauty, got to be Horseshoe.

Sydney
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Decisions.... horseshoe or nelly ?

Sorry, I should have added - I wouldn't bother with the car. Island only has about 11 kms of road! Basically from one side to Horseshoe on the other. The local bus is good and fun and a lot cheaper than hiring a car to drive virtually nowhere....

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decisions.... horseshoe or nelly ?

Hi I'm not a holiday maker but live on the island, I also would recommend Horseshoe Bay, there are good walks from there/a great beach/more places to eat than any other of the bays and a could selection of accommodation

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decisions.... horseshoe or nelly ?

You might want to hire a moke for a day - that's what we did many moons ago while on MI - it was a fun way to explore the island.

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decisions.... horseshoe or nelly ?

Unfortunately the mokes are no longer on the island but you can rent small open top cars quite cheaply for a day I think they are called topless

uk
Level Contributor
21 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decisions.... horseshoe or nelly ?

Many thanks for all your help, will get booking for horeshoe.

Cairns
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Decisions.... horseshoe or nelly ?

Be careful of the hire cars on Magnetic, very old and not very well looked after. They will want a huge ($2000+) deposit for a car not worth more than $500 (even if they could get a roadworthy). The cost will be more than $80 a day. I had just paid $45 for a one day hire in Airlie Beach and got a brand new Nissan Micra, so was somewhat surprised at the cost of what appeared to be a homebuilt special that couldn't even steer straight. Also we were not allowed to drive it in the rain, which was probably good as the wipers didn't work anyway. See the above comments for a hint at the company name.

Other than that, I actually really enjoyed Nelly Bay, so if you get a chance, try to stay a day or two at the resort on the Marina (fantastic pool and restaurant) as well as your stay at Horseshoe. They are 2 completely different types of experience, I would imagine.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Decisions.... horseshoe or nelly ?

We loved Pure Magnetic when we were on Magnetic Island last March, see my review: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g499655-d114…

We also hired one of the little old cars to get around the island a little easier in the heat. OK, yes they are old but it's different and adds to the charm of the island. It certainly came in handy for us and we got to see far more because we could drive ourselves rather than having to wait for the local buses.

9. Re: Decisions.... horseshoe or nelly ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2012, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Magnetic Island
Recent Conversations