We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Potential rip-offs - overcharging

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Potential rip-offs - overcharging

On a recent trip to Maggie we noticed a trend of some concern. When shopping at cafés etc we noticed on several occasions were were short changed on purchases. For example, for a $4.50 cup of coffee we received just 30 cents change from a $5 note. I know it is not much but it happened 3 times in a week and if someone does it 20 times a day that earns the person $8 a day. It was mainly travellers from OS that we're doing it but if it doesn't stop it will become a major issue. Magnet Island is quite expensive for food, groceries etc, so it is yet, another cost issue to consider. Has anyone else noticed this?

Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Potential rip-offs - overcharging

<<It was mainly travelers from OS that were doing it>>

I'm confused. How were other travelers shortchanging you? If you mean OS workers, perhaps they've not sorted out Aussie change yet. I still have to pay attention and I've lived in AUS six years.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,900 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Potential rip-offs - overcharging

I'm assuming they meant the temporary wait staff were overseas backpackers. Sadly they have taken over that industry and not for the better.

Why were you accepting the short changing (if you were?). I would be standing there with my hand out saying "and the rest or fetch your manager now please".

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Potential rip-offs - overcharging

I would always believe incompetence before malice. Probably new to Australian money, not well trained, and not paying close attention.

4. Re: Potential rip-offs - overcharging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 22:16
Get answers to your questions about Magnetic Island
Recent Conversations